painting my halls

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

texas2007

Hi everyone, I made the mistake of painting my hallway(it was the bluish white wallpaper) with a glossy paint. It does not look to great. I am selling my house and want to redo it. Should I try a flat? Do I need to use a primer first(I did not the first time)

Also-My living room is a light purple color. I love it but no sure if someone else would. Should I change it?
Greg

I would think that if the paint it's self has properlt adheared to the wall and the only thing you want is a different color you should be able to just go over it with the new color. Check where you buy the new paint and get their opinion. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I wouldn't think you would need a primer, but as Greg said be sure the first paint stuck well and didn't loosen the wall paper off of the wall. Primer would make the original coat of paint stick better to the wall paper, but a second coat of paint would stick well to fresh paint.

I would think that purples and loud unusual colors, like we see in kid's rooms, could distract from the sale of the home. People want to see a blank slate.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
texas2007

Ok, thanks. I really dont want to repaint my living room as I love the color and all my furniture is dark brown so it looks great to me.

The guy that sold me the paint was the one who said I needed glossy in my hallways but it has that shimmery look -almost trashy looking , you know?
Lisa

I have flat paint throughout my home. I actually prefer it over glossy. My hallway is a light sand color. I find flat much easier to work with than glossy. I'd think to go over the glossy with flat, you'd have to prime it or at least apply a couple coats. Happy painting!
texas2007

Lisa wrote:I have flat paint throughout my home. I actually prefer it over glossy. My hallway is a light sand color. I find flat much easier to work with than glossy. I'd think to go over the glossy with flat, you'd have to prime it or at least apply a couple coats. Happy painting!
Do you happen to have the color of the paint you used?
Lisa

Hi... I don't think I still have the can. It came from Home Depot and was Behr brand. It's on one of their color charts. I think the name is "light desert sand " or something of that sort. I will post some pics in a bit so you can get some idea of the color.
Yanita

Hi Everyone,

Yup, follow me to the Decorating forum...we try to reserve this forum for Repairs only.

Thanks for understanding,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Yanita

OK, all moved,

Here are my thoughts...most people when buying a home prefer more neutral colors than blues, greens, purples, reds etc...

As for the hallway, did you say you did not prime this prior to the first paint job. Try scratching the wall with your finger nail, if the paint peels off easily it is because it was not primed.

If this happens I would think you would need to scrape this paint off, clean the walls with TSP, then prime and paint.

Personally I am not a fan of flat paints, they do not wash well, but they are great at not showing all the imperfections. I prefer latex satins, they wash well and are still not shiny. But this is a preference thing.

Again, just my thoughts...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!