need to do some remodeling......... inside and out.......

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kmclaughlin

here is some pics of the exterior and interior of my mobile home. it is a 1978 skyline.

i need to replace the skirting because there is major cracks, holes and dings in it. i want to paint the whole exterior this year but havent decided on color - except i think something more greens or browns???
okay, next projects is windows. the windows in the ends are the worst!!! i already replaced 2 side windows and had them custom made . they were over 400.00 , but they are double pane, vinyl windows. they are not as big as the end ones though so i know they would cost more. these are the windows in my gil's rooms and both inside sills are rotted, and i noticed mold/mildew on the wall underneath the window and in the corner.

windows i already replaced

my whole kitchen needs redone. the cabinets are falling off the walls. the shelving boards are actually bulging in places if you get down and look underneath of the cabinet. i need a new counter top and sink base. the drawers are no longer operable. either the bottoms have fallen out or the drawer facing is/was hanging there , so i screwed them shut. i have my silverware in a tote on the table. :roll: i would like to replace the walls in the kitchen too. nothing else,put some type of panels over it and then put up new cabinets. the walls are the cheap vinyl covered pressed wood and i have already painted over it.

i am also planning on replacing the vinyl flooring, its not so old but i got armstrong self laying ( i think its laying) well, it has bubbles , more like waves in it. this happens every winter when the furnace is on. i know its not coming from register because we sealed around register opening.

i am a single. disabled mom as of recently,and need to get things at a decent price and/or a budget. any ideas you have of how i can remodel these areas and still be able to put food on the table would be appreciated. :)
Last edited by kmclaughlin on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmclaughlin

p.s the back door is due to be replaced too.
Yanita

Hi,

Here are a couple suggestions..

Sign up for your local Freecycle.com chapter. About every area has one. Everything offered is free.

Check out your local Habitat for Humanity resale shops, they have alot of great buys.

Lowe's in the summer months has what they call there yard sales on weekends, some of this is slightly damaged goods but still usable. I once got a great set of french doors, regular price 900.00 for 100.00, someone measured wrong on these custom order doors.

Paints...again, Lowe's generally has the mistint, wrong color, refused paints and sell these at big discounts. just got to ask about them.

Look around in your area or surrounding towns for warehouse type buildings that collect items from homes that are getting tore down, or buy out other stores that are going out of business, some even stock unclaimed special orders.

Maybe others will have some ideas as well.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kmclaughlin

thanks yanita!
i am owner of a freecycle group and belong to four other groups but remodeling items are few and far between. we are in a rural area.
i know i personally offered prizes to folks to post more offers without much success.

we dont have a habitat for humanity store in this area.

i already got some paint from lowes in the mistint section. very great deals!! i love the darker colors and that what they usually have so i was in luck.

anyone know of a discount place to get windows? i would like to change them out to the vinyl ones like i already installed . i just dont have another 400.00-1200.00 to replace 3 windows AND do the other remodeling projects too. cause you know, usually when you start a project there is always extra hidden costs. happens to me evey time. lol

again, thanks for your input. i appreciate it!!!
kim
Yanita

Hi,

You should be able to get to your windows at Lowe's or other home improvement stores alot cheaper than that.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

You mentioned brown for the outside. My bride likes browns. The Parkside vinyl skirting from HD is also a light brown. Here's a photo:

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
texasprairierose

kmclaughlin,

Hi! We have replaced 20 windows in our house. We had the typical mobile home"storm windows" which was really just two windows about 5" apart. We replaced them with double hung, vinyl windows that we bought from Lowe's. Of course, being mobile home windows, they were not standard size, so we had to have them special ordered. The most we paid was a little over $200.00 which we didn't think was too bad considering that we have a few windows that are 48" x 54".

As far as color...how about a light creamy yellow with white shutters? That is the color scheme we painted our house and it really compliments the grass and greenery around it (well...when the grass and the greenery is GREEN :lol: )

Diane

[img][img]userpix/1783_100_2296_2.jpg[/img][/img]
HowieH

texasprairierose wrote:kmclaughlin,

Hi! We have replaced 20 windows in our house. We had the typical mobile home"storm windows" which was really just two windows about 5" apart. We replaced them with double hung, vinyl windows that we bought from Lowe's. Of course, being mobile home windows, they were not standard size, so we had to have them special ordered. The most we paid was a little over $200.00 which we didn't think was too bad considering that we have a few windows that are 48" x 54".

Diane

Remember who made the windows?? Thanks, Howie
texasprairierose

HowieH,

They were made by Dakota, purchased at Lowe's.

Diane
kmclaughlin

Harry wrote:Hi

You mentioned brown for the outside. My bride likes browns. The Parkside vinyl skirting from HD is also a light brown. Here's a photo:

Harry
HI HARRY,
THAT LOOKS GREAT!!

the trim around the top of mine was choc. brown, then the body was the same color it is now. the shutters were black and the lower 1/3 portion above the skirting was harvest gold. i got the plum and the green from lowes. i didnt prime or anything, just scrubbed the trailer good, and painted the next day. it has been 6 years and no peeling yet!! :) it was lowes american traditions.
this time around i want to do the WHOLE thing.
your looks really nice!!! did you paint yours and if so what kind of paint did you use.??
kmclaughlin

texasprairierose wrote:kmclaughlin,

As far as color...how about a light creamy yellow with white shutters? That is the color scheme we painted our house and it really compliments the grass and greenery around it (well...when the grass and the greenery is GREEN :lol: )

Diane

that looks great too!!! i like the yellow and white........... its so funny cause browns or a pale yellow was what my family has suggested. i have tons of greenery around the outside of mine so am def. wanting something to bring out the greens. i won yard of the month last year, it was great. whats amazing is the homes around me are nothing less than $100,000 and here i set , in my trailer. :) i will have to post a link to my gardening skills.

dakota windows......... i will have to talk to the guys at lowes then...... the windows that you can see at the end of the trailer are not standard and so big. i think i measured like 48X 46?? maybe? i will have to measure again.
when you all measured for the windows , where exactly did you measure from??
the ones i have already replaced, i did not do the measuring the guy i customed ordered them from did the measures. they were 236.00 a piece.
Harry

Hi Kim

I painted the home with Olympic Maximum, Solid Color Deck, Fence & Siding Stain from Lowes. Has a 20 year warranty.

Washed the home down with TSP first.

I like it a lot.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
texasprairierose

kmclaughlin,

I hated to send the picture of my house since everything is brown right now. I airbrushed green grass on that picture but my husband said that it looks weird...so I guess that I won't send it. But the yellow really does look good when the grass is all green and the climbing rose is in full bloom. Plus, the yellow looks clean and cool in the summer.

In regards to measuring for the windows. My husband removed the inside window (like I said before, we had two windows separated by a space of about 5") and removed any trim that was around the window frame and then he measured stud to stud, or the rough opening.

I will look forward to seeing a link to your gardening skills...I don't have any imagination when it comes to flowers!

Diane
texasprairierose

Kim,

When we painted our house, we used McCloskey, which is made by Valspar, and sold at Wal-Mart. The thing that we really like about it is that is has the paint and primer all in one. It has a 25 year warranty to not chip, fade or peel. I was skeptical of those statements until this year. We painted our house in 2001 and we had the front porch poured six years later so we had to do some touch up with left over paint...the original paint did not fade at all because where we touched up is not detectable!

Diane