Crown molding - cathedral ceiling

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Koiflowers

Is there a trick to cutting the crown at the corners where the cathedral ceilings meet the straight, horizontal runs. The cathedral piece of crown will be coming in at an angle. Wouldn't this elongate the cut on that piece so it won't meet the reciprocal miter cut correctly on the straight, horizontal wall. Is there a formula, or is it trial and error? I just can't visualize how its going to come together correctly so both pieces have matching reveals-- with out a lot of caulk involved. I don't want to use a coping saw either. Just my compound miter saw if possible.

The ceiling is 7' 1/2" at low end up to 8' 7" at peak; not quite a 13'-6" run.

I'd like to put it up tomorrow, if someone could kindly respond. There's probably a crown-molding expert out there!

Thanks for any help.
SpongeBob

Hi, there is a trick. On a compound mitre saw position the moulding upside down and backwards. This way the saw fence will act as the wall and the base of the saw will act as your ceiling. You still may have to cope. Hope this helps.

-Bob
Greg

I hope you have plenty of hair, I always pull some out before I get it right!!! The trick (so I am told) is to use a coping saw.
There is a site for doing crown molding that I found a few years ago. Try google search.
Also do not assume that the walls are 90*, I have found very few that are actually 90. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Koiflowers

I know upside down and backwards. I've put it up several times. But I've never dealt with the upward slope of the ceiling. I have plenty of hair, a new tube of caulk, a new compound miter saw (my Christmas present from hubby), and all the time in the world. Thanks for responding.
Jim from Canada

get some cheap scraps of wood to experiment with first instead of using the expensive molding to test with.
SpongeBob

Have you tried using a scribe (compass like tracing tool) first on some rigid paper. then transfer your scribing to the moulding. You are still going to have to use your coping saw unless you are going to settle for gobbs of caulk.
-Bob
Koiflowers

I'm going to Lowe's later today. I'll buy extra crown, a new coping saw, and a bottle of tequila. If it is not too embarrassing, I will post a picture tomorrow. If there is no picture, it probably became a 4 margarita job, and I'm sleeping it off.

Spongebob, I haven't tried anything yet. I saw crown on a cathedral ceiling once. So I know it can be done, but maybe not by me!
Koiflowers

Cost of crown molding, power grab, and coping saw $124.

Bottle of tequila $20.

Asking a cabinet-maker for help, priceless.

beegee

Wow, that is beautiful!