panels above bathtub

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Serena

Can the panels above the bathtub be sanded and painted? I'm guessing they are made of some sort of Masonite and laminated. They seem to be the original 1968 panels. There is no mold and they are not soft or dented. The laminated surface is cracking and I don't like the "artwork" on one of them (factory-made designs).

I read somewhere that bathtub panels could be sanded and then painted with swimming pool paint. Would this work?

If not, what other inexpensive, durable choices are there?

Thanks.
JD
Site Admin

I don't know why you couldn't paint masonite. A lot of homes have standard mobile home ceiling panels over showers. You would want to be sure they are clean and sanded to accept the paint. Use a good primer like Kilz Premium or Original, then top coat with a good paint like Sherwin Williams - Duration. When you get your paint ask them to put in the additive to resist mold and mildew.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Serena

JD, thanks for your reply!

These panels are directly above the bathtub and would get wet if I used the shower. These panels run from the ceiling to the top of the tub. The tub is somewhat raised and the ceiling is low to begin with, so there really isn't room to stand to take a shower, but the panels must stay waterproof. Would this Duration paint work?

I was thinking of using Kilz or something similar as a base coat, so thanks for the reminder to do that.
SpongeBob

HI Serena,
it will work just as JD has said. My original laminate was from 1970. I have primed with the Kilz premium, and finished the top coat with a good mildew resistant paint. Since then it has been washed many times when my wife cleans the bathroom and it is holding up just fine in the shower. Go for it!
-Bob
Dirty White Boy

Yea, I ran into the problem of when I stood in my shower for the first time the shower head was pointed at my chin...lol

I raised it up 3 inches and added a double shower head. I bought a 5 piece shower insert and what walls are going to be exposed in the shower and the ceiling are going to be covered in a waterproof fiberglass sheet that I bought at my local Lowes...
Serena

Thanks! I'm going to Kilz-prime and paint. How much do I need to sand first??? Just until the cracking on the laminate is smooth? Or until there is no shine left on the laminate? Do I need to scrub it with TSP after I sand? Will a hand-sander suffice (I hate dust)?

Thanks again, everyone. You can tell that I am new to all this.
Yanita

Hi Serena,

Personally I would hand sand it. Just need to get the gloss dulled. Then wash down with tsp. Let dry completely, prime and then paint.

Do yourself a favor when doing this project...take a plastic bag and put your vent cover in it and then replace it, this keeps the dust from going into the duct and latter blowing out. Close the door and put a rolled up towel/rug at the bottom of the door to keep the dust from entering other parts of the home. Turn on your exhaust fan.

Good luck.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!