Painting MDF

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DannyBob

Instead of buying a new Bed ($1600 --- yes, I'm worth it!!!), I thunked I would paint it ... appears to be plastic-coated MDF and plastic-coated wood ...

I tried standard acryllic paint --- it wouldn't stick to the suftfaces ...

I tried enamel --- didn't stick, either ...

??? AM I now down to trying LACQUER ???

??? Do anyone still make LACQUER, or has the GREEN POLICE outlawed it ???
PennylessZ28

Your mistake was not taking a piece of say 120grit sandpaper to it, and then applying a primer first.
Arlo

I've had a lot of success using Binser Bulls Eye primer on laminate furniture. You can apply it with a brush but a mini roller with a foam roller brush goes faster. Bulls Eye is a "high adhesion primer" which is what you want. You can apply your top coat as soon as primer dries; within hours, but the primer takes 5 -7 days to achieve complete adhesion. I always paint the top coat with a foam "cigar" roller as it leaves no brush strokes and gives a sprayed-on like finish. Of course you need to brush corners where the roller won't reach. I've painted A LOT of furniture in the past couple of years this way. Daughter's bed and dresser were painted five years ago and did not peel and still look great.
cottonlily

Good advice! I have some nightstands that look horrible. But I haven't quite figured out what to do with them. I think I'll try this Bullseye stuff, since that are laminate finished as well.
DannyBob

ARLO ::: I wents to LOWES site ... didnt find BINSER ... ??? how about DINSER ... or ZINSSER ... or BINFORD ... ??? ... THAT's IT ... BINFORD 7100 "paint sprayer and pizza maker" ... I knew "Tool Time" would be helpful !!!
"Remain calm --- it's all KARMA "
Yanita

Hi,

Zinsser is a good primer, but I still prefer Kilz 2.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lorne

My vote is for Kilz2 also. Be sure it is Kilz2 and not plain Kilz.

I have been undercoating vinyl siding and after I let it cure real good it is there to stay. i t is even hard to remove from the sink when it drys.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.