Bathtubs

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

deb

Happy Holiday, directly over both tubs in our home we have sky lights this has caused our white tubs to turn severely yellow is there a spray or something that we can do to get these tubs back to white?
Yanita

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the site.

To my knowledge there is no fix to this problem. Alot of folks have tried different resurfacing products but to no avail. This is common with these tubs.

There are some past threads on this, but most are about different bleach products,...they do not work, or not that I have found, may be someone has some newer info I am unaware of.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
wes

maybe one chance y'all have is buffing compound to remove the discolored layer. any buffing compound needs to be compatible with tub material and fine enough to restore the shine. it's a lot of work and effectiveness will depend on depth of discoloration. to avoid discoloring after restoring use UV reflective film on the skylight.
Koiflowers

I just can't let this one get away. The tub in our small bathroom was severely stained 8 or 9 years ago when our well started pulling iron. We drilled a new well, but the tub was stained with red iron streaks. It was embarrassing if company used that bath.

I tried every product I could think of to remove the stains (iron out, straight bleach, comet, TSP, bartender's friend, CLR, on and on) and nothing even touched the stains. The iron looked like it had soaked into the plastic. I bought a new tub and surround and discovered it wouldn't fit through the bathroom door. Gerrr. Then I went on thriftyfun.com and found a post from 2005 that said to go to Walmart and buy Super Clean in the automotive section (it's in a gallon Purple bottle) and it would take the yellow out of discolored MH tubs.

Hubby and I poured it full strength into a butter tub and dipped in scouring sponges and got after it. It took some elbow grease and the scouring side of the sponge, but all the stains are gone, and now I'm totally inspired to update that bathroom. My tub wasn't yellow, it was red, but since it's only $6.95 give it a try.
Yanita

Hi Koiflowers,

LOL, I should of thought about automotive cleaners, I use a few within the home. Rainex on the exterior windows, makes the windows stay cleaner for a longer period of time. Also use liquid car wax on the shower surround.

Thanks for the additional info. Look forward to hearing more from you!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Silver Bullet 00

Sounds like to much sunlite coming thru the skylites. I have skylites in both bathrooms and to cut down on excessive heat I applied Gila window film to the inside of the skylite. Been on for over fours years with no problems and really brings down the temp when the sun is overhead. Replacements would be tinted when the time comes.
troyster

Hi Deb! Not sure if it will work but its worth a try-toothpaste with baking soda. I used this on my yellowed and faded plastic headlights and they cleaned them to a like new condition. If this don't work then the only other thing I can think of would be rubbing or polishing compound that you can find in the autobody section of a automotive store. That reminds me when I finished cleaning my headlights with toothpaste, I used Pam cooking spray to shine them up and they sparkled like new. hope one of those solutions works for you. Troyster-out.