Rolled-on DRY paint

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

I was watching Vern Yip's show on HGTV last Saturday and he used a new form of paint that really intrigued me. It is rolled on DRY with a weird-looking cylindrical applicator you use with both hands. Looked like some sort of plastic laminate at first and it certainly was amazing. For a touch-up, you cut a small section, rub it on and then peel a clear film off and it completely blends in. I can't find any reference to it on the HGTV website and "googling" it turns up all the wrong items. Has anyone sen this product who can point me in the right direction? It looked like it would be perfect for mobile home redecorating.
Yanita

Hey Mobile Wayne,

Sorry I don't watch that show so I am clueless as to what you are referring to. Did you try typing in Vern Yip's name or tv show to get any results....

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

I was all over the HGTV website, including everything I could find on Vern's show. Perhaps it was a new show and they haven't added the info about that process yet. He kept referring to it as "pattern paint", but any search for that or "dry paint" doesn't bring up anything on Google or Ask.com. It was obviously a brand new process and product (and boy, did it look cool and easy to apply) but he was just too vague about where he got it or who makes it. Didn't see any mention of it in the credits for the show either. I was watching it with a couple of friends and they also thought it was the neatest painting idea they'd ever seen also. He used it on both a kitchen and a living room. It's applied in what looked like an 18" swath from a tubular device that you hold at each end. I kept wondering if perhaps it was the answer to covering panelling in mobile homes, as it almost looked like he was applying a thin laminate or wallpaper rather than paint.
Lorne

I would stick to real paint. This looks like wallpaper in solid colors that is applied like rub on decals.

Probably expensive.
Too many ideas on DIY are just to costly.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

Hey Mobile Wayne,

Sorry I have not had a chance to read the link you supplied, crazy things like life and work have just had me real busy this week. I will read it latter and give you my thoughts.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

I was really impressed at how easy the application of this product looked on TV. The finished rooms looked great and the surface was much richer and smoother than a simple coat of paint. Repairing a scrape or tear was as easy as applying a piece of tape and is completely invisible. On further research however, it appears that this new product is ridiculously expensive! One estimate has even a small room costing upwards of $500 for the rolls of paint and applicator!! Not exactly the right product for a mobile home owner's budget. Hopefully it will drop in price eventually once it is on the market for a while, but at that price I could probably paint the entire interior of my singlewide and have enough left over for a case of beer! It is an interesting product, but I'm just not sure who they intend to sell it to. Anyone paying that much for materials for one room would probably just hire a contractor to paint it and save themselves a lot of work.
Sylvia

It does look very interesting. I, too, think it's overpriced. Wallpaper would be much less expensive, paint much less expensive than wallpaper. I was hoping to find an easy way not to finish the drywall in the guest bedroom, guess I'll have to keep looking. :wink: (or get DH to finish it)
StillKavey

It isnt all that hard to finish drywall.. you could do it and let him sit and drink beer and watch (im sure he wont complain) ;)