Door covers for winter

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Busybee1952

Well, I was going to put some sort of shelter on the deck to keep the winter from coming in the door but scraped that idea when I thought of this.

I have some extra pieces of paneling around so I cut a piece to fit over the door and part of the trim. Cut a small window hole in it and covered that with plastic. Then applied 3 1/2" insulation to the side facing the door and covered that with more plastic which was secured with 1/4" staples. Put a handle on it and one of those screen door latches and hinged it off the floor about an inch to the door trim. It works great to keep out the cold! I made a hook also so that I can close it from the outside when leaving during the day to keep my home nice and cozy. Worked so well, I made another for the back door. I'd send pictures but my camera is on loan at the time. Maybe will add later.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Lorne

Send some pictures when you get your camera back.

I thought I might get a big sheet of that Blue expanded foam board and make a panel to fit the porch door at one end at night.

It is a fully enclosed and insulated porch, but has no heat of it's own. Since there is a door to the house at each end [one sliding door and one standard door]
we bought a couple of cheap box fans, one for each end. It got down to 38 degrees last night and it wasn't half bad out there. we only turn on the heat around 5 or 6am and then turn it off when the sun hits the house.

These box fans also cool the porch in the summer just by circulating the air conditioning through the porch.

When we can afford a heat pump it will same us a lot of money. what I thought was a heat pump is really just an air conditioner. We're learning.

It's amazing what you can do on the cheap just by inventing your own system.

Stay warm and keep inventing.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.