Fake Rock

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

annie

Hello,

I posted here around a month ago about making fake rock out of drywall mud.

I did an experiment and I think it will work. I took the mud I purchased pre-mixed and did not dilute it. I used a picture of river rock and real river rock as guides to shape the "rocks". I did this on a scrap piece of drywall mud. It dried just fine. Next, I left it in the garage under really cold weather-mid-20's and brought it inside by the fireplace.

It has not cracked-it is really as hard as a rock!

Just to be on the safe side I decided to do the final rock wall on a separate piece of masonite? board. I will mount this to the wall and I have already figured out how to "frame" it. It was fun shaping the rocks-reminds me of mud pie days! The hardest part was the smoothness as river rock is for the most part smooth even if different shapes. A light switch cover found in the garage worked well.

It is drying and it will be a few weeks until I have it painted. By then I will figure out how to get a picture of it online.

Just wanted to share the outcome-in case anyone wants a low-cost rock wall.....

Annie
annie

Whoops! I mean I did it on a scrap piece of drywall, NOt drywall mud :P
Jim from Canada

Have you tried it with something like "Durrock" (or is it dura bond?). It is a drywall filler that dries harder and faster. ie Durrock 90 dries in as little as 90 minutes. According to what I gather, you can hardly sand it after it sets up.
mokehillannie

Have you Googled Hypertufa? There are lots of articles on making fake rocks out of that stuff. There are lots of different recipes for it.
annie

Wow! Thanks, I will definitely check out both ideas.

Annie