Remodel help

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dani

:?: I am attempting to remodel a single wide 12 x40 and need all the help I can get LOL.

First question is I would like to have wooden floors put in rather than recarpeting, however I'm not sure how wooden floors would do in a mobile home. Any comments???

Kitchen questions. I need to have a new counter/sink installed
Not sure what type of counter material to use. I figure granite would be to weigh. Also not sure how to get the one in there out without causing other damage.

Also I need to do something with the wall beteen counter and bottom of cupboards. I stripped the wall paper that was there only to find horrible I think factory contact paper with wood behind that you can't get all the contact paper off I tried stripper. So I patched and primered. I want something that I can clean so wall paper is not a good plan. The walls aren't flat and even enough to just paint and have it look good. Any ideas?

Would like to put in a new bathroom vanity and sink also. One with drawers. I was looking at 48 inch vanities and was shocked at the $ 400- and up price range. There has to be something less expensive out there?

Last question the kitchen has straight bottom cabinets. One of them is like a corner cabinet has the stove on the other side It has a two doors just under the sink. The problem is if you put anything in the corner , you can't get to it very easily. Was thinking about some kind of pull out or so kind of shelf that turns. Any ideas on what or where to look?

Thanks in advance for any help and your ideas.
Dani
Greg

Hi & welcome to the family. Many of us have put down laminate flooring, easier to install than wood, and it is close to bullet proof.
Counter top, have you thought about a tile top & back splash? I have done two and the wife loved them both.
Cabinets, SHOP AROUND!! Prices are all over the place. You didn't say where you are located so I can not give any thoughts as to an outlet. I will say that Sunco makes a nice HARDWOOD cadinet that you assemble very inexpensive. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Ketta

Hi Dani

Supporting Greg's comment about shopping around...

We have a 1970 double-wide and for most of the big purchases, like appliances, kitchen sink, etc., we used craigslist. I'm positive with shopping around and patience, you can get a new or only slightly used vanity for a fraction of the price you quoted.

Our plans for the kitchen counter is formica, as it is inexpensive and we experience installing/working with it. We'd rather do tile, but long-term we aren't keeping this home and saving stuff we really like for a more permanent mh.

My mother used Pergo in an '80's Fleetwood, and it looked wonderful. It was fairly easy to install and added tons of character to the place. Of course it was much easier to clean, and even made the house 'sound' bigger since there was no thick carpet to deaden sound.

She has an older model now and is going to do some wood flooring once it's releveled. She has a couple spots that will definitely change a small amount, but even a tiny change can affect the floor, so she's waiting.
Yanita

Hi Dani,

Welcome to the site!

Laminate flooring is recommend for a mobile home, it is considered a floating floor, thus it moves with the home. If installed properly will last a very long time.

Removing your existing counter top is not hard. Remove the vinyl trim that lines the edge of the counter to the wall, or back splashes. Look under the counter there will be screws or staples that attache the counter to the base cabinets, remove them. Make sure to shut off water and disconnect plumbing lines. There also is little clips that hold your sink in place. Use a small sledge hammer or regular hammer a couple of good whacks from underneath will set it free.

Many folks have done several creative things for back splashes, if you do a search certainly you will come up with something. Can not really give you any ideas as I do not know your decorating taste/style. There are several different designs of wall panels available at Lowe's or Home Depot, relatively inexpensive.

Bathroom vanity, well there are many options out there. I see someone mentioned Craigslist, then there is Ebay. Since I do not do alot of buying online I check out our local Habitat for Humanity stores. Also on weekends Lowe's have there yard sales with deeply discounted items. Another idea for the vanity is to purchase a small dresser. This would be a custom feature and you need to get creative with plumbing lines and drains, we used an antique vanity with tri fold mirrors in the master bath.

Base corner cabinet in kitchen, I really like the lazy Susan style. It turns and makes everything accessible. This can be bought as a kit at Lowe's.

Good luck with your renovations!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dani

Gee, thanks everyone for your comments. Nice friendly group you have here. Lets see if I can answer some of your questions. I'm located in Southern California. I Check Craigs list daily. LOL Have been to Home Depot and Lowe's. Never seen a Lowe's yard sale sounds like fun.

Thanks for the lazy susan idea.

I love tile work but I don't have a tile saw for cutting it and really can't cut a striaght line with a saw in the first place. I'm pretty handy but not with any saw.

Any reccomendations for the type of paint to use on the outside?

Thanks and ya all have a great day.

Dani
Yanita

Hi Dani,

Yes, we do have a great group of folks here! We are one of the very few where everyone is friendly and willing to lend a hand, advice or opinions.

The yard sale at Lowe's that I was referring to is usually held early Saturday mornings, like when the store opens. I call it a yard sale..the items available vary from store to store, typically they have custom ordered items that came in wrong size, color etc, some minor damaged goods that can still be used, overstocked items, mistinted paints, returns...lots of good stuff.

Also I forgot to mention to sign up for your local "Freecycle" chapter online. Just type in Freecycle in your search engine and then follow the prompts. It is a amazing what the really rich just give away!

When you got a moment would you please complete a profile. To do this look in the task menu in the main header above, you should see a link called My profile space...

Please feel free to browse around and check out all our forums and links. Lots of really great info here! Mark's repair manual is a wonderful guide to repairs if needed.

Look forward to helping you in the future and your contributions to our site!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Dani,

To your paint question, you might get as many brand suggestions as replies to that question. I have found some paints to be better than others, but for the most part, all major paint companies have their premium line of acrylic paints. That is where I would look. Personally, I like Kelly-Moore Acry-Shield paints. Sherwin Williams and Frazee are also excellent professional quality paints.

I look for paint that can handle the expansion/contraction and movements common with mobile homes. I want good coverage and accurate color. One of the most important things I look for is professional service from the people selling the paint. This is something that our local Kelly-Moore store excels at. Knowing the make-up of the pigments in paint can help you have an acceptable color many years down the road.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.