Backer for gas log stove

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

diasbox

I have a gas log stove which vents to the outside. It sits in a corner of the livingroom between two large, single-pane windows. I want to install some sort of backing on the walls behind the stove to deflect heat into the room away from the windows.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
Dia
hvac1000

Cheap cure is aluminum foil shinny side out. Now that is probably not what you wanted to hear but it is cheap and effective.

If you are trying to conserve energy do not run that stove. It probably is not very energy efficient. Just thought I would mention that fact.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
diasbox

HVAC1000, I'm kind of baffled as to why you would recommend not using my gas log stove. It is less expensive to heat our large livingroom this way in the winter than using electricity. Besides, nothing beats sitting by a real fire on a rainy day!

I'm also surprised you recommend aluminum foil, which would reflect some heat outward, sure, but it would also transfer heat to the panelled wall, which is exactly what I don't want!
mokehillannie

diasbox,

The aluminum for really doesn't transfer the heat to the wall. Years ago when we were VERY poor, we had to use the aluminum foil to keep our wood stove from burning the wall. It did work. The wall behind the foil was actually cool to the touch.
hvac1000

Usually gas log stoves are not energy efficient this is just a fact that is why I said what I said. I have two wood fireplaces here and I know that it costs me more to use them than the heat I get. Did you do a cost analysis? How much is electric how much is gas? Did you figure electric at 100% efficient and the gas burner at 60% if you are lucky?

The problem with all gas,wood,and coal stoves is that they use air that you already paid to heat and exhaust it out of the home thru the chimney or vent. These are open to the atmosphere type burners or units and none of them are efficient. Now I use mine as a ambiance/cheap mental health tool type of thing and it does make a person feel comfortable to set in the same room with one but I know I am wasting a lot of energy when I use them.

Options

2 Large rolls of aluminum foil = 10.00

22 gauge sheet metal with non combustible spacers = 100.00

Special wall backer boards design to reflect heat = 300.00

Take your pick. I was just trying to give you a cheap option.

I have been servicing customers for almost 40 years in the HVAC trade. I guess you could say I know what I am talking about on a few items but not all. Good luck on your project.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.