Removing glued on bathroom mirrors

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Sylvia

We are doing a final overhaul of the guest bathroom upstairs. It has a standard glued on mirror that came with the home. We've replaced almost everything everywhere else but this room. We have a new tub and surround, toilet and medicene cabinet to put in as well as new floors and fresh texture/paint.

As it turns out, DH has been putting this off because of the breaking of the mirror in the bathroom. Can we get it off somehow without it breaking. I think I looked at him like he was crazy when he suggested to put the bigger medicene cabinet OVER the existing mirror so it didn't have to be broken.

Nine years later and the things I learn about him. :lol:
Yanita

Hi Sylvia,

When we removed one Hubby used strips of duct tape on the mirror, helps control the glass from flying everywhere. We also used an old blanket to cover the vanity surface.

He used a long thin pry bar and gently started lifting it away from the wall. You will find that there really is not all that much glue under there, or at least there was not on ours, it came off without breaking. Make sure to wear gloves and safety glasses for this!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

there may only be 2 strips of double sided adhisive, try sliding a drywall knife in from the edges. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Sylvia

He went ahead and broke it off. It was glued quite thoroughly. They may have been chinzy on a lot of other things in this house but they were very generous with the glue. :shock:

DH sprayed texture on the walls and ceiling and we're waiting for it to dry so it can be painted. Then the floors, the tub, and then the new toilet. Our water bill should be much less in the future!
Mark
Site Admin

One thing I have to say about mobile home industry is that they use the best dang glues! Wow is that stuff hard to remove.

Many flooring is glued to the floor joists. If you're doing a floor repair, you literally need to chissel the glue off of the joists to give you a smooth working surface for the new floor.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
JD
Site Admin

Hey Mark,

In another post, Brenda(OH) mentioned the Fein Multimaster. This is like the Home/DIY version of the tool I have used a few times, the Fein SuperCut. I don't own one. I borrow my flooring guy's tool. What a neat tool!. It peels the old glue off of joists fast. I imagine the Home version would do the same thing, but it about 1/3 the power. It costs $200-$300 depending on the kit. The pro SuperCut version is $700 on sale, which is why I don't own one. It will be interesting to see what's available when the patent runs out.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Sylvia

He's convinced the bad luck has already begun. lol
DannyBob

... In my '95 Fleetwood "SINGLE", I've -2- SUITES --- each has -6- mirrors ...

OKAY ::: working on the "PLUS -1- BEAR" scale, I removed all but the bottom piece of framing --- then I got HER hairdryer --- this DO work --- and S-L-O-W-L-Y, starting @ the TOP, heated the glass untilI could begin to seperate it from the wall ... S-L-O-W-L-Y is the key word ... cracked / broke just -1- piece in the "Fab Guest Suite" ... none, so far, in the "Fab Master Suite" ... and NO CUTTS !!!

(I'm gonna have a GREAT time w/ the stall shower) --- NO MIRRORS IN THERE --- YET !!!
dan82

yeah I had some problems with that too, could get all that off..i´ll keep trying lol