Drywall corners

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mary

Our old double wide has trim pieces (flat and about 1" wide)in the corners of the walls. I was wondering what you do when you replace the drywall. Does it work to tape and mud them? Anyone who has done their walls-even painting- please let me know as I've been trying to decide what to do for a couple years. The pieces we have now need replaced or something.
I keep trying to see on the album pictures but can't quite tell for sure.
Thanks.
Mary
JD
Site Admin

Yes, you would get a good fit in the inside corners and tape and mud. Use corner bead on outside corners. There is also a paper faced metal inside and outside corner bead that may work better for our mobile homes. The paper facings adhere to the wall itself and not nailed into the framing. This could lessen cracks on inside corners. I have only read about it and have not tried it yet.

http://www.negwer.com/News/ViewNewsItem.aspx?id=463

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Mary

Thanks JD.
Now I'm getting enthused to try it in one of the bedrooms. Just need to get the time and energy. Don't know why I always think of this stuff with winter coming on in central IA. Its something that would cure better in spring or summer, right. And I need a new bathroom window before winter too.
Was wondering if these metal corners fit only the regular sheetrock, as we have the 3/8" walls. Will check into it at Menards which is like our Home Depot.
Mary
JD
Site Admin

I don't know about using the paper faced metal corners on the vinyl clad wallboard. I think I would go the the regular nail on corners.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Lorne

If you decide on the paper face type you might try some 3M spray glue for the vinyl wall covering. sticks good.

I like the idea of rounded corners instead of the standard square edges, but it might only work on thicker drywall, like 1/2 or 3/4. Makes a big appearance difference being rounded.
Check out Lowe's or Home Depot for a sample.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.