Decorating Wall Behind Fireplace

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

annie

Hello,

We have a free-standing gas fireplace that was installed last year. (used licensed contractor, took care of insurance)

I would like to rock the wall behind it. It is a matte black and river rock would look pretty good. However, the cultured rock is not cheap and fairly heavy. There is a possibility that comes to mind.

Let me know what you think.

Use drywall mud and use bowls, etc., to "shape" the mud into rocks before it dries and faux paint it. I have troweled many of the walls in here with thick mud-3 years ago and no problem.

No one would be able to bump up against it as it will be isolated behind the fireplace. The area is about 30 sq. feet. The "rocks" will extend out 1-2" with a black "grout" line. Weight would be much less than the cultured rock-about 280 pounds on the wall-I estimate it will be around 30 pounds max spread out.

Sound do able? Think this method can achieve the rock look?

Thanks for any feed back.
Greg

Anne, if you are saying the cultured rocks are 280# I would not be afraid to use them, 280 pounds is about the same as 2 people, the it won't support that weight you may bigger problems than the looks of the wall. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
annie

Thanks, I wasn't sure about the weight. It is good to know the wall can handle it. Believe it is 1/2" sheetrock.

But I am still considering the cost. I may try a sample area with the mud and let it dry, paint it and then decide. A small area can be fairly easy to remove if it doesn't work out.

The rock would cost around 175$, plus the support materials so probably around 225$. The mud and paint-already have a stash-would probably come in under $30.

Anyone ever tried to do anything that thick-at least an inch-with mud?
Trying to think of problems before I start:)

Annie
Yanita

Hi,

I might take several applications to get the "rocks" the thickness that you want.

Trying to do anything with 1 inch thick mud I am quite sure it will crack severely when drying.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
annie

I think the best thing to do is a sample on a separate piece of scrap sheet rock. Shape the "rock" and let it try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

thanks,
Annie