Vinyl siding paint-flat or satin

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

Which do you prefer? or is best?

Is there Any Brand that you see as being better then others.
I read that 5-gallon containers are cheaper then by the gallon.

It's getting cooler outside, so I'm getting inspired.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Lorne,

I am a personal believer in Sherwin Williams Duration on vinyl siding. About a year ago I changer suppliers to Kelly Moore which I feel is a better product than the SW Super Paint. But SW Duration has a special formulation that adds and adhesive quality and a mildewcide to the paint. It also lays thicker than regular 100% acrylic paints.

Sherwin Williams also has a color safe chart specifically for vinyl siding. Speaking of which, you have to be careful with your color choice. A darker color can cause vinyl siding to warp.

As far as sheen, I like some gloss to the paint for vinyl. Regardless which paint you use, hard cleaning can take paint off of vinyl. I feel the semi-gloss or satin type finishes clean easier than the flat. The flat paint tends to stain/streak worse where dirty water runs off of the roof. There is no science to my thinking, just a 2 second ponder, so I could be wrong.

I would prefer to spray paint vinyl siding, but MH parks in my area don't allow spray rigs outside. Keep you brush a little on the dry side when painting the bottom edge of the siding. A wet brush will tend to goober up the weep holes.

JMO. I am sure others will have their favorite paints as well. I think the main thing is to use the highest quality of 100% acrylic paint you can find. In the end, I would think all of the better brands would work.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Lorne

Thanks JD.
I have looked at most of the brands and of course they all say they are the best.
I started looking at SW in the beginning and then went to others.
I like your use of "goober up". It sounds like a real professions term.

Also I like your mention of thicker spreading.
Years ago I used Glidden Spread Satin and it was like spreading thick cream. It really spread out over a large distance.

I will go with SW, unless someone comes up with a super, better brand, not to mention SW is only 1 mile down the road.

The house is now that "Typical" Mobile Home Baby Blue color, but I am making it a Cream/White, which should help in the hot sun.

Thanks JD.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
JD
Site Admin

Aw sheeesh! I did use the wrong term. It is "muck up". You don't want to muck up the weep holes. What was I thinking? :)

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.