I need directions for exterior painting!

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Georgie

okay, we decided to paint to exterior of our mobile home for now and side it in the spring. What should I do? LOL I was trying to figure out how much paint I would need for a 14x72. It's 1008 sq ft. Also, is it easier to use a roller and paint it on or to use a paint gun? Any info will help! THANKS SO MUCH! :D
Yanita

HI Georgie,

Your measurements are for interior square footage, not for the 4 exterior walls. Rough estimate with your measurements...2 long exterior walls, 72x8(?)=576 square feet, then multiply by 2. (Front and back of home. 1152 square feet, less window and door openings.

The end short walls 14x8=112sq feet x 2=224sq feet, then subtract and window openings. Also I used an 8 foot high measurement as guestimation.

Your home would have to be thoroughly cleaned, possibly sanded in places to remove rust, primed with rust inhibitor paint and then painted with an exterior paint. Sounds like a alot of money and time if you are going to vinyl side it in the spring.

A gallon of Valspar interior latex, about 23.00 a gallon says it will cover approx. 400 square feet, LOL, I don't think I get that much coverage from a gal.

JMO

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Georgie,

I agree with Yanita on both counts. 400 SF/gal never is for a single coat and I still use more than that. Painting aluminum will tend to show brush marks with light streaks. Always seems to be some second coat when painting with roller and brush. Then if there is a trim color, you will need to get separate paint for that. I will typically use 5-6 gallons primary color and 1-2 gallons trim color. I buy a 5 gallon bucket of primary color and 1 gallon of trim and then go back for more as I needed it.

I also think that if you are going to re-side in the spring, hold off on the paint. Mobile home aluminum siding does not deteriorate due to lack of paint. If you have some openings or problem areas, you can seal that up till you are ready to install the siding.

JMO too

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Georgie, I will say that spraying is easier & faster, but plan on a lot of overspray, you will have paint drift about everywhere within 10' of the home and thats with no wind, add a 5mph wind and look out! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Georgie

Well I agree about waiting until spring, but the guy that owns the lot doesn't seem to be on the same page! We have several rust streaks on the backside of the trailer and he wants us to take care of it now. Do I have to prime the entire trailer or just the spots where there's rust? How expensive do you think this is going to be? I really don't want to side it until we have the money to put a roof on too. But if it's going to cost me several hundreds of dollars than I am better off to just side it now. My husbands friend is a contracter and he said he could side it and everything for about $1000. Thanks for all your help guys and gals! lol I am so thankful I found this forum!
Yanita

JMO,

Jump on the 1000.00 offer to reside..now, and yes, you will need to prime the entire home. JD mentioned your trim which I had forgotten about. Given the choice of painting or residing that is in the future, reside!

As for cost, figure how many gallons of paint and primer you will need, paint brushes, sand paper etc...paint is about 25.00 a gal.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Georgie,

Would the manager type person there accept just the back being painted? If the rust stains there is all that is bothering him/her, then maybe that is enough to satisfy them until spring. One gallon of paint a roller and a couple of brushes and you got it.

It is very nice of your husbands friend to offer to do the siding for you. Probably saving you $6000 or so. You might want to have him price out the materials for the entire job though. Just off the top of my head, a 24x60 home would cost about $1500 for siding, all the siding trim and homewrap. you could add another $400-$500 if you wanted to use the fan fold foam insulation board.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Georgie

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back, I have had some SEVERE allergies! I can't stop sneezing!! We have decided to just side it. I am one of those people that don' t like to have something half done, meaning having the siding and no new roof. It will drive me nuts but I will just have to wait! I have read some of the posts on here about siding a mobile, I know that my hubbys friend will know what he's doing but for my piece of mind. Is it okay to side over the current aluminium siding?? My home is a 14x72 and he said the cost for siding would be around $750. I checked at Lowes and they charge $115 per square for siding and installation. But I have NO idea how many square my home is. Thanks again for everyone's help! :)