I painted my kitchen cabinets

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

japa

I finally got the nerve to paint my kitchen cabinets and I'm glad I did. I've been wanting to do it for about 5 years now but was afraid it would not turn out. I was so tired of the dark cabinets and the dark floor together. I wanted to paint them white to brighten up the place. I talked to the salesman at Lowe's and he told me what to use and said he was sure it would turn out okay. I did it in sections since I had to do everything in the kitchen and therefore did not have a lot of room to work. The cabinets are real wood...not laminate covered and still in very good condition for a 30 year old mobile home. I first cleaned them really well and then used TSP to get any left over grime and shine off, but as you can see in the before pictures there wasn't much shine left on the original stained cabinets. I put three coats of Zinsser 123 primer on them and two coats of Valspar cabinet enamel. I bought all new door and drawer pulls which cost around $100. I decided to just spray paint the hinges since it would have cost me around $120 for them. It took around two weeks to finish and I'm glad I finally did it. Here are a couple before and after pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chadomac

big change!! looks great
Joe Freeman

was going to say whats wrong with the before ? but seeing the after makes a big difference, they look great. I still have the "built to the wall cabinets" looking for used from cr or some where, not afraid to paint .
The problem is not the problem; the problem , is your attitude towards the problem.