Those mirrored walls

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Busybee1952

Here is what I did with one wall in my living room that I tried to make look somewhat like a home theater. I put insulation in the wall to help block the sound but it didn't do any good. I still like how it turned out. Might give others some ideas.

JD
Site Admin

Pretty fancy looking Pat! Did you do the finish on that miter cut trim?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hey Pat,

Looks good, nice mood lighting for the evenings.

What products and steps did you use to create the old looking trim?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Pat, yep,very nice idea! It looks great!

I hear you about the mirrors! We had and still have them in a lot of rooms. In the 70's early 80's was the theme that mirrors made rooms look larger! So they covered walls in them everywhere! I removed the mirrors in the living room. They were mounted on 2x4's. I left the 2x4's in place. That is and will become an even better entertainment center once the boys move out. The 2x4's will help support the plasma tv in there. The rest will be built out to support the audio system.

I have 2 areas left to rip down mirrors. One is the vanity area in our master bedroom. It's horrible and the other is a wasted alcove between the kitchen and dining area.

On the other hand the mirrors in the dining area will stay! Even though they are those horrible 70's veined mirrors. I've learned very well that I can be out in the living room and see everything happening in the kitchen without getting up! Kids and hubby sneaking stuff out of the fridge that they shouldn't. They still haven't figured out how I know what's happening in the kitchen... and I'll never tell them!
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Busybee1952

Hi All and thanks,

The molding was purchased from a picture frame dealer on e-bay and was rather expensive but I fell in love with it and nothing else would do! I made a few mistakes when mitering the corners and had to use a little wood putty to disquise them. I used a pearlized type paint on the molding to give it a little sheen which it needed because the wallpaper itself is a little on the shiny side. The wallpaper was vintage and also purchased from e-bay and I had a little left over to do those pesky little strips that go on the paneling, a 10' cornice, and the inlays on my old coffee tables.

The lights you see in the nighttime picture were Christmas tree lights but they didn't last long so I got some rope lights instead. The main colors in the wallpaper are gold, maroon, green, and rust. I painted the rest of the walls in that room maroon, which I really liked and then got crazy and painted my old end tables and an old cupboard I found as well. The end tables were in bad shape and had the old leather insets but the leather was totally shot. So, here's what I did.

I used several coats of polyurethane over the wallpaper on the end tables and they've held up really well.

Maureen, I like your idea of using the studs in the wall to make your entertainment center. Mine went in the end wall of the slide out because it's really cold on that wall and the velvet drapes I put up under the cornice to each side of the tv helps to block some of the cold air as well as keeping the electronic components cool. I also have my small freezer hid on one side and the organ hid on the other side of the tv behind the drapes.

I also think it's pretty funny about the "spy" mirrors. LOL
Pat
Maureen

Hi Pat,

I'm hoping to have enough time between now and Christmas to haul out paint again LOL! That all depends on the wedding business. Once the boys ship out, I'm painting that bedroom and putting up shelves to hold their stuff, and mine! Most of the wedding stuff will finally leave my living room and be moved in that bedroom. The boys will be packing up their stuff over the next few weeks. Anything that isn't electronic will be moved out to the sheds. They will both be home at Christmas for 2 weeks and will be able to claim what they don't want stored. After that, the room is mine!

Once that's done, the rest of the house is mine! It'll be slow, but eventually I'll get it all done LOL!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'