Metal grid walkway

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

RiverGirl

I'm considering buying metal grid from the scrap yard for a walkway or part of a boardwalk hanging over a steep slope to the water. I'm wondering if it is strong enough to hold its own weight, or if it needs bracing in the middle. 3x9 foot pieces, weighs 160 lbs. If I can lay them side by side, I can create a 9 ft boardwalk along the riverbank connecting them to pilings down the river bank, and some kind of concrete/post setup along the bank/edge of yard. Just wondering if I'll need to put something under their middles. They cost $64 each, vs. wood which would cost about $50 for the decking.

Comments anyone?

Vicki
bar-grate_5786sm.jpg
front-yard-river_0851a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

I think they would support their own weight, but that really won't do you any good since I would think you plan on walking on them. I think I would frame them 2x6 pressure treated or if you can weld (or have someone that can) build a metal frame.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
RiverGirl

Yes, I do plan to walk and fish from them, so several people would be lined up along the edge at the same time. The frame will probably be a metal bar or angle iron attached to the pilings and to "something" on shore. I'm visualizing all 4 edges of the grate to be resting on the angle iron. My next door neighbor is a welder, and has a welding machine. He will be helping with this project. Do you think the frame around the edges would be enough, or do I need another 3 foot cross support about midways?

Thanks. Vicki.
Greg

Always overbuild!!!

I have never heard anyone say "I wish I had built that weaker".

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."