Oxidation on aluminum siding ...how to paint

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

thatswhoiam

or at least I think its oxidation. the old paint has faded .... and in many spots it has worn down to white....the texture is slightly chalky and rough.

I got some cheapo rustoleum semi- high gloss protective enamel beige color that im putting on as the first coat and rustoleum smooth protective enamel lighter color on top. both are for interior/exterior.

it seems to be going on fairly evenly although it soaks up the first coat pretty fast.

I know I'm not doing this the ideal way, but is it terribly wrong? this is an older home and im not up for spending a lot on paint unless its necessary
Greg

90% of a good paint job is proper preparation. Make sure the surface is clean before painting, follow what ever rustoleum recommends. It's good paint but "different" to work with.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
thatswhoiam

right , i washed it really well. i've painted over dust before and its not pretty

I read somewhere that if its really oxidized you should allow it to dry 3 days before painting.

read in several "how to"'s that you should never paint aluminum without a primer..... &
??

---->> eb emulsa bond mixed into the paint helps the adhesion of the paint. i may get some of that.

http://bighow.net/2923099-How_to_Paint_ ... iding.html

click on "view replies" under each comment under article