Florescent light to see drywall mud mistakes.

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I read somewhere that after muddying a wall it is easier to see mistakes with florescent lights.

I have been doing the "plaster the grooves in paneling thing".

I bought a 4 bulb florescent drop light [trouble lite] that has 2 switches. One for turning on 2 bulbs and the other for all 4 bulbs.

Holding it in front of me and facing the wall back toward me I saw major little mistakes everywhere.

I had a sanding block in the other hand and went to town on the wall. I thought I had filled in all the grooves enough, but this showed me where I missed.

Two neat discoveries in one day. Wow. Just like Christmas.

Next thing I will do is to try to cure the common cold. Wish me luck.
This of course will NOT involve J.B. weld.

Have a great day.

:D
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

Hi Lorne,

Thanks for the tip!

Since this is not a repair issue I am going to put this in the decorating forum. Be a nice tip for those redoing their walls.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kashton

We always use the work lights when sanding. It really does make a big difference. Also it works well when painting at jobs, so you can see streaks and missed spots. Just don't have the work light to close to the wall you are painting, it tends to make the paint dry quick.

I always have J.B.weld around the house. Another trick I like to do for filling wood is, using saw dust, and mix with wood glue. makes a wood paste to fill holes. Just like press board. I myself think it works better than wood filler, especially if it has to support any kind of weight.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Mark
Site Admin

Anytime I mud or paint, I always have a good light shining on the wall. Impossible to see what kind of job your doing without it. Can't say I've ever used a florescent light tho -- I usually just use one of those utility lights.

On a side note, do any of you wallpaper? Most people wallpaper to hide imperfections in the wall. Kind of counter-productive as the imperfections still show thru the wallpaper. If any of you have ever seen a professional put up wallpaper, you'll find out that they want those walls absolutely perfectly smooth -- usually smoother than what a person would normally do with tape & mud after sheetrocking.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!

One of my neighbors wallpapered her panel walls. She put up liner paper first and then the wallpaper. She didn't fill in the cracks/seams. It looks perfect, but she has a lot of experience with wallpapering.