redo Kitchen floor

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bkbunny

I have 1970 looking vinyl in kitchen no tears or rips, but, a lil bulge in one spot not noticeable to visitors but, I am nit picky so I know its there. Looking for opinions here....

Would you put peel and stick down over this knowing there is a lil bump in floor?????? and yes it was there when I purchased MH
its never bothered me due to being so small.
To rip up vinyl to see why that bump is there terrifies me in how much work it will take me to rip up..
JD
Site Admin

I personally would not use peel-n-stick. Sheet vinyl will give you better protection. You will need to use an underlayment or float out the ridges of the old vinyl before installing new, whether sheet or tiles. If you don't get rid of the embossed pattern on the old vinyl, it will transfer to the new vinyl.

Taking care of the bump depends on what it is. If it is a swollen spot due to moisture, you may need to cut out that section, frame/block the opening and install new subfloor (plywood). If it is a seam where 2 sheets of subfloor come together, you could sand it down. A better fix would be to set a saw at the depth of the subfloor, usually 5/8", and cut an expansion gap through the affected area. Then fill the gap with a flooring compound and sand smooth. I usually go a step further and use a 4-1/2" grinder to create a slight depression on the seam so the flooring compound feathers out better over the joint.

Some people won't go through the extra steps like floating out the old floor and such, but it does show on the finished product.

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Well hmmm,

LOL, nothing left for me to commment on, JD covered it all.

As JD said, prep is everything, failing to do so the finished project will not last long.

Good luck.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bkbunny

I am so glad I found this site :D They need one spot that we can give kudos to the folks that step up and help all the time.

Yanita is one of the first I would have to place on my helpful list, you all don't know how the girl helped me get logged into this site lol
anyways, I would say thanks to JD also, for great info on my question, I never thought of the pattern of this vinyl coming thru sorta depressing to read BUT so glad to be warned then do all that work and see it ruined cause I didn't think of that.

MY daddy always said no stupid questions if you don't know the answer. and this proved so true
Yanita

Hi Bunny,

Thanks for the kind words, but that is why we are here. To help everyone that comes to MHR.com! :D

Now, LOL, after rereading this thread I would like to add I do promote one type of peel and stick tile. It is called Novalis, and can be purchased at Lowe's. Comes in several different designs/patterns.

If you prepare your pre existing vinyl as JD described these Novalis tiles are great. I had them installed in my other home. The only way I recommend any peel and stick is with full sheet vinyl under them. I do not recommend any peel stick in bathrooms. JMO.

If you go with a low quality tile as with anything you get what you pay for.

All of JD's recommendations should be adhered to if you are going to do this or even another full sheet vinyl.

Have fun and let us know what you decide.

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dandjbarrett

I too want to eventually replace my kitchen vinyl and had thought of the peel/stick tiles. I've just ordered the MH repair/upgrade manual from this site and am reallllllly hoping this type of project is addressed in the manual.
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

The manual is a must have item in your tool box if you plan on repairing/upgrading your home.

Although the manual covers many things installation of vinyl tiles is not one. There is a section on laminate flooring install.

Whatever type of floor covering you choose typically will come with its own set of installation instructions per the manufacturer.

Before you replace your kitchen vinyl there are many threads of various tips to complete the job, and also make it a quality install.
Again, Welcome to the site.

Yanita