Redo Kitchen Cabinets

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bkbunny

I have those press board type cabinets in kitchen, I would like to do something different with them, not sure paint or wood type finish.

The tops of doors are undone, looks like they forgot to add something on them, so if I paint or stain I think it will soak in and not match the rest, also they have a design carved (sorta) all around them will this be a problem ??
JD
Site Admin

You can seal them up with a good primer. I like Kilz original or Premium. If any of the print finish is peeling, you will probably see the ridge, even after cutting it off and trying to smooth it out with mastic.

I think they look great painted. It let's you do a lot more with your kitchen decor and they usually don't look like real wood anyways. Some people like to use a high quality oil based paint because it will give you a more durable finish and it levels out nicer, getting rid of a lot of the brush marks. There are also additives you can use with latex to allow it to level better. This stuff greatly increases drying time.

Send us some pics when you get done, OK?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
bkbunny

Thanxs JD one question what is mastic??? is it a sandpaper??
JD
Site Admin

I may wrong in the use of the term mastic, but I use it as a general name for any kind of goop or spread on filler type product. I would use a lightweight spackling compound, one that is sandable.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
bkbunny

lmao I am so darn glad I asked what that was, I was sitting there looking at doors and thinking no mater how fine sandpaper I use I would think these doors would crumble away if I were to start sanding them,,,,,,,,,, :?

thank you for clearing that up for me :wink: