Question about interior doors

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mysticalblaze

Good Morning:)
I want to replace my thin ugly manufactured home doors. I want a solid wood door that is NOT a six panel door. I have been to many home improvement stores in my area and have had no luck finding a door that will fit our smaller than normal door jamb. Why must everything in a mobile home be such odd sizes? Any help in where to look would be greatly appreciated:)
Greg

Hi & welcome. Since I am not sure of your skill level I will give you a few options. As you know from looking around solid doors get expensive. If you are determined to have solid doors You may be able to find a door that can be cut down to fit your openings or enlarge you openings to fit the door.
Another option depending on your skill level is to make your own doors. This will require some tooling and a 1/2" router, but once you get set up it's not hard to do.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mysticalblaze

Thanks Greg:) I want all the bedrooms and laundry room to have solid doors. I know they are pretty costly. I will just take me longer to get it all done...lol
I just wish I was able to find them easier. Home Depot and Lowes just look at me like I am crazy when I tell them I live in a mobile home and I get the standard reply "We don't carry things that will fit a mobile home"
It is annoying to say the least. These 2x3 walls are huge pain in my butt:P
LisaBoyer

Hi!

I too hate these cheap doors...and I LOVE the look of the old solid doors with keyholes...so I went to a junk dealer and found LOTS. If you can find someone that is in construction, they might know of a place that re-sells old windows, doors, etc. Go too big, always easier to cut down a door, then enlarge an opening. First hand experience here. My digital camera is on the fritz, or I would share what we did. I'm also "disguising" a door...turning a pantry door (yep, cheap hollow thing), into a "barn door". Very easy fix, with beadboard and trim, replace the door knob with an iron pull handle.

I say junk dealer, because around here if they slap a label "antique" on something, it sells for three times as much! You need something that has lots of doors and they want to get rid of them!

Hope that helps....:)

Lisa
mysticalblaze

Thanks Lisa I will have to take a look around my area and see what I can find. Our door jambs are ugly fake wood looking stuff. I want to have real wood there. I am going to see if my husband thinks he can just redo the door jambs himself. You would think with as many mobile homes as there are it would not be so hard to find NICE things to put in them. Not everyone wants the bottom of the line cheap stuff:P
Greg

"You would think with as many mobile homes as there are it would not be so hard to find NICE things to put in them. Not everyone wants the bottom of the line cheap stuff:P"

You would think so, but I have found in our area ( there are about 600 mobile homes within a mile) most people would rather complain than find a better way. Most seem like they could care less, and many that do don't have the money.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
LisaBoyer

Our door jambs are ugly fake wood looking stuff. I want to have real wood there. I am going to see if my husband thinks he can just redo the door jambs himself.
If not...try painting them. We had the same thing, and being tight with money...we couldn't afford to redo all the jams. After scouring with TSP, to remove any build up of anything...2 coats of primer/paint (semi gloss) and you can't tell they aren't real wood. I don't know how they hold up to kids, we are two old people, lol But I like the look.