caution frozen pipes

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

wannabeyooper

A reminder everyone be careful when trying to thaw pipes. My daughers neighbor lost his MH to fire yesterday. She has an old MH too which needed more work then mine it was in bad shape. Anyway her neighbor has helped her with many projects and she has learned alot from him. Yesterday he lost his home to fire due to trying to fix frozen pipes. He and his wife are ok but lost everything he just retired and now has no home. He had it fixed up so nice after alot of work so sad :(
Greg

What was the actual cause of the fire? Heater? Torch? bad heat tape?

I just had a PM from a member with frozen pipes, that was one of the things we both were cautious of. If possible have a fire extinguisher handy when working on frozen pipes.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
wannabeyooper

I believe a torch but not sure he was down under at the time it started from what I heard
HouseMedic

Greg wrote: I just had a PM from a member with frozen pipes, that was one of the things we both were cautious of. If possible have a fire extinguisher handy when working on frozen pipes.

Greg
Or better yet, Heat gun only. If at all possible stay away from open flames. Heat guns can also start a fire but they are a lot safer.

That is very sad news, glad everyone is OK.

Ron
Greg

The unattended heater is one of the causes that I worry about, very easily prevented.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."