Needing right of way for utilities

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

mrstovar

The engineer from Penelec said that we are responsible for getting a right of way for utilities for the mobile home we are installing, and for cutting back any trees to make room.
How do people normally aquire a right of way? Should we offer our new neigbors money in exchange for the right of way? If so, how much? Should we ask our neighbors to sign something, and if so, how should it be written and should it be notorized? I did call our law firm yesterday afternoon and I have not heard back from them yet. They are closed over the weekend.

We have a choice of asking the neighbors either above our lot or below our lot. The neighbors below us have a large beautiful white oak tree where maybe a third of the tree spread would need to be cut back. If these neighbors would allow us to come up over their land, how much would a professional charge for doing a nice job? Thanks!
Greg

That is a question that I would not even attempt to answer. If you don't have enough room on your property to allow for utilities it may turn into a problem. If the property was sub divided from the original lot I would think there should be a provision in the deed for utility easements.

Real good job for a Lawyer (And I really don't like to say that).

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mrstovar

We need a right of way to put in an electric pole and run the wires overhead. Does this make sense?

I had no idea that Penelec wouldn't automatically have the right of way along a public township road, but the engineer said that since there are trees in the waw, we must get a right of way in order for them to put in a pole and bring the wires to our mobile home.
72 mobile

mrstovar wrote:We need a right of way to put in an electric pole and run the wires overhead. Does this make sense?

I had no idea that Penelec wouldn't automatically have the right of way along a public township road, but the engineer said that since there are trees in the waw, we must get a right of way in order for them to put in a pole and bring the wires to our mobile home.
public utilities always want the land owner to give them the right to put poles ect. any place they want to before they give you ele. I've signed papers giving them rights on every piece I've owned and I just bought a piece of land that the previous owner had given them rights to the land, they ran poles and wires right thru the property splitting the land as nothing can be built under the wires.
mrstovar

72mobile, did you get paid for the right of way? If so, how much? Did you have to sign anything? I don't have a clue about these things.
72 mobile

mrstovar wrote:72mobile, did you get paid for the right of way? If so, how much? Did you have to sign anything? I don't have a clue about these things.
I got paid nothing, just a pole and transformer for service at my house, but had to sign away rights for them to put poles where necessary in the future.