Anybody good with CPU tweaking?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

jpingram5

I use to back in the day but it's been over 10 years since I modified a computer. I just upgraded my video card and CPU & Heatsink. I got this massive insane heatsink that required me to cut out and custom make a new service door on the computer. But it keeps it hell alot cooler. Anyways, the processor I got is a AMD Anthlon X2 64 7750 @ 2.7ghz. I bought it off amazon and everyone was reviewing it is perfect to overclock. Well in my system BIOS which is where you would do that if I remember correctly, mine doesn't let me. So I was wondering if anyone on here was good with computers and knew a way possibly? BTW, my computer is a HP Pavilion P6637c with Phoenix - Award BIOS & Windows 7. Thanks!
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
HouseMedic

Usually there is an area in the BIOS but mayne yours does not have it.
You can try this program. I have not used this one but I think it is made by AMD.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU- ... Tool.shtml

Also you can check out this site. http://www.overclock.net/

Ron
flcruising

[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
DaveyB

You will often find that "branded" computers, like HP, Dell, Gateway, etc., will do a bulk purchase of motherboards - I'm talking in the thousands here. In exchange for that they get to make modifications to the motherboard design, including the BIOS.

Most of these changes are so they can incorporate their own logos into the BIOS, along with special to requirement fields such as the Dell service tag. Sometimes they will add or remove motherboard components, or change the chipset for business reasons. This is why you will sometimes see an AMD chipset with an NVidia video card embedded, even though AMD now owns ATI.

For this reason, even though you may have identified the manufacturer of the motherboard, the board itself may not be compatible with the particular model that is sold to the general market. This includes things like the ability to overclock a processor since the BIOS may have been brought in from an earlier model motherboard (that didn't have the overclock ability). The reasoning is that the "borrowed" BIOS has all of the "branded" requirements, and is therefore cheaper for the manufacturer than having a new BIOS chip built specifically to accommodate a logo change.

Long story cut short, it's quite possible that your HP motherboard BIOS doesn't have the necessary screens to overclock the processor, and you may have to switch to a generic motherboard in order to do so.

Hope that helps (and didn't bore too many of our other readers) 8)
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝