Room AC's plus fans?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Barb P

I put this here, because it's not about repair. It's about science. (maybe)

My home is 14x70. Kitchen at one end. Bedroom at other.
Two bedrooms and one bath, off hallway. Middle rooms face South, with one window each.

Kitchen window AC is 7800 BTU. Effectively cools kitchen and LR.
Bedroom is 5000....good for that room.

The question. What is best way to get middle rooms cooled?
Strategic placing of fans? Can't close these rooms off. One houses my birds. How to get cooled air in there, while expelling hot air?

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.
BarbP
JD
Site Admin

With about 1300 cfm, technically you should be able to cool 650 to 700 sf. But with a hall and walls in the way, you may be asking a lot from these units. They may need to run constantly in hot weather.

Have you tried placing a table type fan just inside of the bird room on the floor, facing into the room? Maybe this would circulate the warm air out of the room at the top of the door.

You would not want any windows open at all. Cold air would flow to any opening like water. I think the key is to displace the air that is in that room.

Just my thoughts on it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Robert

Hi,

That's 12,800 btu, which is a little over 1 ton.

If your home has upgraded windows and doors, no vaulted ceilings, upgraded insulation and good shade, you would need approx. 1 ton for every 600 sq. ft. .

With none of those upgrades, 1 ton for every 400 sq. ft. .

Half of those would be 1 ton for every 500 sq. ft. .

These are all rough estimates, but fairly close usually.

So, the middle would be you have enough a/c for about 550 sq. ft. or so.

May need to add more btu's.

Removing the heated air from home is what ultimately cools the home.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JD
Site Admin

Yep, I missed a zero. That window ac I recently put in a wall for a customer was a 12000cfm. It does a nice job in her 12 wide, cooling off the kitchen and living room at the one end of the home. But I think that is about all it could do.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Robert

That would be btu instead of cfm hopefully. Otherwise, she would have needed a 30 ton unit, LOL.

That woulda cooled her down !

BTW, you did a great job on that window/wall unit.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Barb P

Since adding more BTU's is not an option, it seems that adding a fan at floor level, to suck in cold , and using a small fan at top of room to expel hot air is the way to go? That should keep air moving, so room isn't stifling.

I already have the small one used basically used the same way to move warm air in winter.
This is gonna be tricky, with a screen door on birdroom. Got cats!
Thank you for advice. :)
BarbP
JD
Site Admin

What kind of birds do you have, Barb? What is it like to have a bird room? Messy? Noisy?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

JD
Site Admin

Yeah Robert. LOL I don't know my btus from my buts.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Barb P

JD, I have only a pair of parakeets, and a pair of cockatiels, at the moment. The 'tiels are mated, the 'keets are platonic friends.
LOL, they do get noisy, but it's music to my ears. :)
Having only four is not hard to keep clean. They have freedom in their own room, during the day, and are caged onlyat night.
Although they can fly around, they mostly play on top of the cages, and on homemade swings, over the cages, so all ummm, 'messies' end up in the cages, which are lined with white paper towels and changed every day.
Sunday is cage cleaning day. They go in the tub for a scrub.
Yeah, it's work, but I get so much back from them.
When Sundance ('tiel) calls out to me, when I walk past his room, it makes my heart soar. :D
BarbP