Hanging a heavy bag

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

James D

Greetings,

This may sound silly, but I want to hang an Everlast heavy bag in my spare bedroom. It weighs 100 pounds. I am wondering if it is safe to attach it using a mount that attaches to the studs.

Here is the model I am specifically looking at:

http://www.tko.com/store/pc/item-detail ... roduct=363

I have the option of mounting it to an exterior wall, or inside, if there is a difference.

I could use 2x4's to spread the load over 4 studs if it would help.

I'm not sure how trailers are framed, and I don't think it would be an issue, but I want to make sure first.

Thanks for any input.

JD
Greg

Hi & welcome. With out knowing what you have for studs in you home it is hard to say. Some older(70's-80's) Had 1x studs in the interior and some used them on outside walls. Newer homes use 2x studs.

You may want to Build a semi free standing frame out of 2x4s that would only cost a few bucks to build and give you all the support you need. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
James D

It's just 5 years old, and I assume framed with 2x4. I could get the free standing stand designed for it, but I don't want to use up the floor space. Having it mounted to a wall would be more space effective.

I had considered putting 2x4's or 1x4's across 4 studs, then attaching the wall mount to that. My thinking is that it would spead the load a bit.

I'm also thinking an outside wall would be better, since the ceiling joists are more likely to be secured to the top plate, than on an interior wall.
Greg S

I think this is a bad idea to install in any mobile home regardless of the size of wall studs.
The stress on the walls as well on the floor area where you will be standing over time will cause damage. A standard 2X4 wall construction is not adequate support. In addition the likelihood is your actions will shake the entire home which will not be good.

But that is only my opinion as I believe they belong in basements where they can be attached to 2X8/2X10 floor joists supported by concrete.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
nitz0

Have you considered a free standing heavy bag? They really don't take up that much space..Push it in the corner and be done with it..