Storing clothing

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

readysetgo

Hi everyone,
I've been cleaning out the closets and I bought those big plastic containers to store our clothes in till winter etc. It shouldn't hurt them should it. I'm getting a late start in my spring cleaning, I might be done by summer. :cry:
I wish I had a digital camera and knew how to use it to show you all our little guest bath. It's so cute. I did the mini-pick wic beadboard(lowes.) I painted it to look as if it had been painted several times and was kinda old, not easy to do. I bought a 21.00 mirror, 16 by 58 and hung it horizontally on the wall and made a frame out of furring strips that I whitewashed and polyacrylic. It's so old fashioned and cute. I got a pine board and whitewashed it for a shelf below the mirror and frame. Below the shelf(supporting the shelf is a pine board(1 by 6 inches,whitewashed. I then got these curtain tiebacks(antiqued white) and put several of them on the backboard and it also supports the shelf. I then took the matching curtain rod and put thru the curtain tie backs and use this to hang towels. I got a rustic faucet in pewter that looks like an old hand pump. It's hard to explain but it's so beautiful. Feels like you're on vacation in a country cottage. Sorry I took up your time with all this. I've done forgot what I originally wrote about. :lol:
kashton

I use plastic totes to store the winter gear in the shed. They are fine. I sometimes tape around the edges though, just to make sure they don't pop open and get creepy-crawlies in them. I would rather use those space bags to compact everything down, but they are too expensive here.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Hi,

Add a couple of moth balls to the containers, and as Kashton said, tape the edges as well.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
LynnieCheb

Another suggestion is toss a Bounce dryer sheet (new, not used, and it has to be Bounce for some reason - other brands don't work) in with the stored stuff - critters don't seem to like the smell.

Also works with vehicles that get stored - couple of sheets and no more presents from the little mousies!

Lynnie C.
readysetgo

Thank you, I sure like the extra space in the closets now. Just hope I don't junk them up with something else. It's hard to resist filling any empty spaces here.
Have a great day.
Maureen

Hi RSG! Good to see you!

Personally, to store the Winter clothes I really love the space bags. I use and store a lot of things in the plastic tubs, but not clothing that will be used next season. I prefer the Space Bags because I know that bugs and moisture will not get in.

I always wash everything before rehanging in closets each season. It's just a thing that I need to do. So the squishing that the bags create is not a big problem.

The Bounce dryer sheets are a very good tip! It works very well to deter critters. Lynnie is correct, it has to be Bounce, off brands, etc don't work. They will also remove oder from stored items.

Don't even talk about Spring cleaning to me right now! I'm so far behind that I'll be lucky to catch up before Fall LOL!

Maureen

8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'