Krud Kutter? Other ideas for first clean?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

LynnieCheb

DH and I are getting down to the home stretch in the 'waiting to go mobile' race. My thought was that the first task after closing would be to thoroughly wash the innards of the place. It's not quite as severe as Pennyless' looked, but two adults and two kids lived there for ten years and there's just accumulated crud. I was just going to go the Spic-N-Span in a bucket route, but noticed you, Yanita, mentioned something called Krud Kutter. Does that work better?

We don't have the luxury of cleaning and getting everything all fixed up before we move in, but will instead have like a day and a half before the movers show up with the furniture (we, and our friends, and are all too dang old to be spending our time hefting big bookcases around anymore, so went the cowards route and hired movers). What do you wise folks on this board suggest as far as quick and thorough cleans?

Many thanks
Lynnie C.
Harry

Hi

When I bought this place I used Simple Green straight with a large sponge then rinsed with clear water twice.

Next time I am going to try the Krud Kutter.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

I am a big fan of citrus based cleaners I buy it in industrial strength. Depending on how you mix it you can take paint off or wash your hands with it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
PennylessZ28

CLOROX GERMICIDAL BLEACH, kids and dogs = GERMS GERMS GERMS

And mine was fairly clean compared to a lot I've seen. You'd think more people would pride themselves in their homes and maintain it.
Maureen

Hi Lynnie,

Yanita swears by krud kutter! If I remember correctly, she gets it at Home Depot. I still have to pick some up and try it. It's just that cleaning supplies are normally the last thing I think of when I go into Home Depot.

I love Simple Green! It's non toxic and earth friendly. For heavy grime, like stoves and hard to clean areas, I use Greased Lightening. Just make sure to follow directions cause it is strong!

I use a lot of clorox products in the bathrooms. But then I live with germs. I'm very clean, but not a clean freak. I've got 3 men living here. Hubby and the 2 boys, 19 and 20 and the big old dog. I'd have to kick them all out to get rid of the germs LOL! Then I'd be pretty lonely, super clean, but lonely!

Mike, taking pride in your home, and yourself, doesn't mean that everyone's house needs to be germ free. That's your opinion, and I respect that! We all have our meaning of comfortable and homey. I clean everyday, but I refuse to spend all my free time cleaning up after everyone! I refuse to keep my fur friends outside, they are part of my family.

Too each his own!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Robert

Mike,

If you are alive, no matter what you are, you maintain and produce germs.

Kids and dogs have no hand up on it.

Everyone has their opinions and personal preferences, but please get away from the capital letters which being into computers, you know gives the message of screaming at our other members and lurkers.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
PennylessZ28

When I said why don't more people take pride in their home, I didn't mean anything about germs. I was refering to the people who let their homes get run down and are usually the stereotypical images of rednecks living in mobile homes. I'd assume folks on here, being on this site, don't fall into that category.

When i was trying to find a mobile home, we saw so many that were just trashed beyond belief. She mentioned hers wasn't as bad as mine, and then I went off on a tangient about some of the ones I'd seen.

I wasn't implying that animals and kids mean you live in a run down shack. I have a cat, and I'm a 24 yr old guy. Think about that.

But I'd seen some, and there are people living in some, where they just don't care. Animal pee stains, bugs, you name it, there are some dirty things. And most of the fixer uppers where scary.

When I was younger, I was raised by a single mother, and we didn't have a lot, and I was taught to take care of everything.

So it boggles my mind that there are people where I live, who I know have less than me, but they don't take care of anything.

Does that make sense?

If God can't trust you with something small, why will he bless you with something great?

Sorry fellows.

If you have ever watched MONK on USA thats me, to a point.
Handweaving

Hey Pennyless,
I agree with you.
I think Robert was just talking about the Capitol Letters. That's all.
keep on keeping on with the comments.
Infact, I have a friend who has cat odor in her stick built home bathroom. She found out the lady before her had six cats!! I told her to start with vinegar..........any other/follow up ideas?
LynnieCheb

Jeepers, being the new neighbor on the block I certainly didn't mean to insinuate anything about anyone. My comment about not as bad as yours, Pennyless, was based on looking through the pictures on your website. From the pics it looked liked some of the walls were in rough shape, but that just could have been the pictures.

I'm finding out more and more that mobile living is different from stick living. I know a fair amount about stick homes (built two of them with the ex -- by built I mean I did the insulating and the sheetrock and hanging the cabinets, etc., not that I supervised a builder). But I know nothing about MH's. Before I did any damage to my Love Cottage, I wanted to get the advice of experts (who I consider to be here). And I'm getting some great options I hadn't thought of.

No offense was meant...........

Lynnie C.
BIG O

Hi
My wife uses somthing called fabuloso and scrub free.
Hey I didn't use any caps. hoora LOL :lol:
IT'S BIG O BABY!!
Maureen

Hey guys... and Mike, there was no offense taken at all.

As moderators, we just need to keep things on an even keel around here. We all try to respect other opinions, at the same time kindly remind everyone that we all live in our own worlds.

Mike, I realize what your saying! I too, was a single mother for 13 years to my 34 year old. I've been a married mother for over 20 years, it isn't much easier these days. Pride in ownership just means different things to different folks. I know that in my area, most homes that are totally run down are normally rentals, where the owners live out of state. The renters, in some of these cases, just don't care. In other cases, they are fighting the landlords to get things fixed! I know I've rented places in my younger years, that I personally paid for repairs that I was never reimbursed for. You never know what circumstances created the end result.

Lynnie, don't worry at all! Please feel free to post your opinions! Take Mike's apology or statement and realize that is his world and where he is comfy! No offense taken! Enjoy your love cottage!

Ya know, if we were all exactly alike, did everything the same way and agreed on everything, we'd all be very boring! Not to mention that we'd all have the same education about our homes and there would be no reason for this wonderful forum!

I can tell you, I've been on this board for a very long time. Robert knows the how long we've been here... it's been 8 or 9 years now. I have little memory for those things these days. But, there isn't a week that goes by that I don't learn something new about our homes. It might come from a pro, a new comer, or one of our long time members.

That's what's important and the purpose of this forum... and it always will be. We share kindly, like a family would.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
PennylessZ28

Handweaving wrote: Infact, I have a friend who has cat odor in her stick built home bathroom. She found out the lady before her had six cats!! I told her to start with vinegar..........any other/follow up ideas?
On that note, I used left over paint /junk paint, just mixed all the stuff together, and rolled it over the floors in my house, where their were a lot of animal stains. Someone told me it'd help block any odors and seal it in..... I don't know, but the house doesn't smell anymore. May or may not work. Worth a shot if you got left over paint that you don't need.
Yanita

Hi Lynnie C,

Sorry for the delayed response. Went on vacation for a few days...

As Maureen said many of us use different products...I reallllly like Krud Kutter. It has a clean smell that is not overpowering. Greased lightening is also good but for me the scent is to strong.

I personally am not a fan of Simple Green. I to use alot of clorox/bleach based products, these are used in the bathroom and the kitchen areas.

If you use a bleach based product on all your walls you will certainly end up staining your carpets, regardless of how careful you are.

If you still want to try Krud Kutter as Maureen said, it is purchased at Home Depot read and follow label instructions.

Oh yeah, LOL, welcome to the site....

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Maureen wrote:Ya know, if we were all exactly alike, did everything the same way and agreed on everything, we'd all be very boring!
Yep, if we were all the same, the rest of you would have to let your housecleaning go for a while. Cause I'm not doing it! ;) Weakest link rule. We aren't clean freaks, but try to keep the place picked up. We clean on a "as needed" basis and then every two weeks, all surfaces and things get a thorough cleaning. But it is all to no avail. We have conceded defeat to Droopy, our Bassett Hound. Sweet sweet dog, but a walking homewrecker. He looks like Pigpen from Charlie brown. Always a cloud of dog hair floating around him. If he could actually run, it would look like a burnout!

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
LynnieCheb

Many thanks for the ideas, everyone, and the laughs that went along with them! I'll be posting "before's" and "after's" next week......(only a week and a day before closing - I am SO excited!)

And you are right, Maureen, the board already feels like a family! :lol:

Lynnie C.