rock chip repair

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Dean3

Just an hour ago I met a truck pulling a trailer on a gravel road,heard a sharp CRACK sound.looked at the windshield,,,and,,,sure enough there was a small star shaped crack where a rock hit. If I was a few inches more to the right it would have missed. This is my windshield I just bought 2-3 months ago for $250.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the DIY chip repair kits? Do they stop smaller damage from cracking further or it just hype?

Dean
Greg

"Safelite repairs" They will come to you and do a repair, I've heard good things about them, plus your insurance will pay for them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

Thanks Greg. The place that installed it is a safelite dealer or partner or whatever. They are good IMO. They were done when they said and decent price.It's an older vehicle and not worthy of full coverage,high deductible means I'll be paying for damages like this out of pocket.

I assume the material in a kit is the same liquid the pro uses. I travel gravel some so a kit I can use more than once might be very handy. Fix-A-Flat company makes Fix-A-Windshield,looks like a good reusable kit for low cost. Youtube has video of it being used.

I'm still very interested in personal experience stories if anyone has any.

Dean
Greg

Here in NY Glass coverage is CHEAP, like around $100/yr. well worth the cost considering the price of glass. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
NMBowtie

I use the Safelite/Novus/Fasbreak type repair places pretty regularly since I am on gravel/poor condition roads alot and seem to get chips regularly. They generally run about $35 for a repair without claiming it on insurance, and generally will refund your money if it doesn't fix it for whatever reason. I have watched them do these repairs, and it is fairly complex, so I don't know about doing them yourself. Overall, I have had pretty good luck with the repairs, I have only had one that went ahead and cracked after the repair. I would recommend having the professionals do it.
Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
Dean3

TY NMBowtie. Your reply gives me enough faith in the material to go ahead and get a kit and practice. With a kit in the vehicle and some practice I can stop and fix nearly on the spot. I will occasionally try repairs/maintenance that I think I can handle.

Driving gravels can be an adventure,if I didn't love it so much I'd hate it. :lol: Dust choked air filters,dust covered vehicle,rock chips,last roads to be plowed,etc. The good points for me are,less people,more wildlife,far better scenery,more remote camping,less used fishing spots,etc etc.

They are oh-so-slowly paving the gravels around here,I suppose that will increase traffic,with luck I'll be dead before it gets bad. :lol:

Dean

Ooops,sorry,I got off topic in the off topic section,,,my bad. :wink:
larryp7639

NMBowtie wrote:I use the Safelite/Novus/Fasbreak type repair places pretty regularly since I am on gravel/poor condition roads alot and seem to get chips regularly. They generally run about $35 for a repair without claiming it on insurance, and generally will refund your money if it doesn't fix it for whatever reason. I have watched them do these repairs, and it is fairly complex, so I don't know about doing them yourself. Overall, I have had pretty good luck with the repairs, I have only had one that went ahead and cracked after the repair. I would recommend having the professionals do it.
me too :d
donnaj867

Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Site Admin

Hi and yes, you are warmly welcomed, but advertising links are not allowed in posts or signatures.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.