Doublewide info?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Heather

Hi everyone!I am purchasing a new doublewide hopefully next spring and I need some advice.I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me what to expect when I go.Are there anything that I might get suckered into that I need to watch out for?Can I ask for a lower price or is it what it is?How can I get a good deal?Is there cheaper ways of getting one?We will be going to mobile home sales and I want to go in there knowing what I want and knowing how to get a good price,I dont want to walk in there looking and sounding like a dummy cause I think if they know I dont know they might try to take advantage of that.Has anyone ever dealt with sales men at these places and had a bad experiance?I'm scared of finding one I love and it be to pricey for me.I have lived in a singlewide for almost 12 years and its time for us to have more room and a nicer forever home.I also want to know if it will be better to get the loan at a bank or through them?I hope someone can answer some of my questions and I thank ya for taking the time to read my post. :D
Harry

Hi

Which state are you in?

Many problems are due to poor installation of the mobile home. I would make to get a copy of the Installation manual for that specific home and then make sure it is followed. The manual will have items such as a support pier diagram and tie-down locations. It will also cover the grading of the site to make sure water runs away from the MH.

I am a big fan of plywood floors.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Heather

I'm in Ky We will have it put on our land.Is there something there I should watch for.
Greg

Heather, Hi & Welcome. If you go to the repair section of the forum Yanita has a sticky post "Buying a used home", Many of these tips also hold true when buying new.

You also want to think about UPGRADES. There are a LOT usually available, everything from flooring, to doors & windows, Electrical, Heating, insulation, roofs and the list goes on and on.

You may want to start with the codes office in your area and find out what is REQUIRED as a place to start, Some areas require shingled roofs, others don't care. It would also be a good place to find out about what you will need to support the home, Piers, cement pad etc. If the budget allows I would go with a cement pad, it will make for a dry area under the home and makes working under the home MUCH easier.

Anything that saves energy is a wise upgrade. Plywood subflooring over Partical board. If possible plan any TV, Phone Jacks, it's easier to have them there already rather than start cutting into a new home to add them.

I am sure others will add to this list as well with their thoughts. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

If you can be approved for a traditional mortgage then go that that way. Interest rates are less. I have heard complete horror stories from thers about MH fianancing companies.

As for the home itself I agree with Greg and Harry. but I would like to go a step further.

It will cost you dearly in the course of a 30 year mortgage if your new home includes cheap appliances, stove, fridge, washer/dryer and the cheap furniture. Think about it, all these are added into your cost, and you will pay for these items for the life of your loan and probably will not have them in the first 10 years. Now if they are quality items then the choice is yours.

I would focus on the upgrades that have been mentioned above in previous post. Doors windows, insulation etc are much more important over the course of time than something that is asthetically pleasing at the moment.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Heather

Thanks everyone for the info....I will let you know when and if I get it... :D