Oil Primer Rant

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

User avatar
kashton
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:03 pm

Sat May 19, 2007 9:48 am

PennylessZ28,


What is this T-1? I've never heard of it, unless it is a pet name for something else. Are you talking about Total one?

Oh, and I think most of know of that whole LEAD based paint thing.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!


User avatar
kashton
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:03 pm

Sat May 19, 2007 8:44 pm

So there is a 1000 series of primers from Parker paint, but no oil based primer for wall or ceiling prep, only for metal or enamel underlay. So, I still don't know what T-1 is!

I will assume you mean Total one, http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cg ... d=13012004


But it is not oil-based, and it is a kilz product.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!

PennylessZ28

Sun May 20, 2007 9:25 am

kashton wrote:PennylessZ28,


What is this T-1? I've never heard of it, unless it is a pet name for something else. Are you talking about Total one?

Oh, and I think most of know of that whole LEAD based paint thing.
Image

It's called Stain Killer, Terminator 1 (oil) or Terminator 2(latex) or Terminator 3 (Alcohol)

http://www.duron.com/products/interior_ ... lineid=364

I'm sorry, I forgot that ACE, TRUE VALUE, HOME DEPOT, LOWES does not carry this product as its only sold by a paint distributor.

I might be able to find it in a Sherwin Williams store, as they bought Duron last year.

Different people have different views on what to use. My ceilings were solid and I didn't want to scrap the popcorn, becuase I want to move in by the end of the month. So oil primer is the best blocker IMO on popcorn.

I'm rolling latex over the walls anyways. :D

User avatar
Yanita
Moderator
Posts: 3369
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Eastern N. Carolina

Sun May 20, 2007 11:30 am

Hi,

Thanks for the pics and clarification on the primer.

Most of us typically stick with what we know works and applicable for all users.

LOL, we all shorten, abbreviate etc the names of things so it is good to know the real name...thanks.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

PennylessZ28

Sun May 20, 2007 12:18 pm

Yanita wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the pics and clarification on the primer.

Most of us typically stick with what we know works and applicable for all users.

LOL, we all shorten, abbreviate etc the names of things so it is good to know the real name...thanks.

~Yanita~
Yeah, I never noticed before, but on the Stain Killer 2 and 3 cans, and you can see the T3 can in the picture, that it actually says T3, and I'm used to ordering it like that.

Have any of you used Zinsser Bullseye primer, I use that a lot too. It's usually sold at Home Depot along side of Killz.

I will say this, now that the whole place is all white, I can see every single pin hole and tack hole used to assemble this thing. :(
Last edited by PennylessZ28 on Sun May 20, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
kashton
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:03 pm

Sun May 20, 2007 12:19 pm

We don't have any of those stores here. We order our primers from Prince George. I guess it is different when you want to hide, or if you tear it apart and start fresh. I prefer to start fresh, and I would never guarantee a job that was only to hide.

And excuse my ignorance, But why would you even use an oil in a sprayer anyway? We have an industrial and a mini sprayer, and would never put an oilbase in either. Using chemical to clean them would dryout and crack the seals.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!

PennylessZ28

Sun May 20, 2007 12:23 pm

kashton wrote:We don't have any of those stores here. We order our primers from Prince George. I guess it is different when you want to hide, or if you tear it apart and start fresh. I prefer to start fresh, and I would never guarantee a job that was only to hide.

And excuse my ignorance, But why would you even use an oil in a sprayer anyway? We have an industrial and a mini sprayer, and would never put an oilbase in either. Using chemical to clean them would dryout and crack the seals.
I'm not really hiding anything, I've already replaced bad drywall, the ceilings are just yellowed, I don't think they were ever painted, and I only want to paint them once.

I've used oil in the sprayer many times with no ill effects. We've used stains on wood homes, which can't be cleaned up with water. Normally I just run 3 gallons of mineral spirits through the rig. No problem with the seals or anything.

Locked