Small roaches & mice in my house

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

homebuff

:) Thank's Brenda for those valuble tips.
I'm keeping a heads up on those mice though.
Don't want them to multiply & start making babies. You nhave a really bad mess on your hands if that starts.
As I had mentioed on the post , the glue traps were my best defence but my wife is so loving sensitive to critters & animals she has me dispose of them properly.
Funny thing happened yesterday, she asked me to take the glue trap out which had a mouse on it & lay it down in the dumpster gently & not throw it in their so not to hurt the mouse LOL!!
Well! you probaly know what I did. Yes! I thew it in there. or tossed might be a better way of saying it.
Closed the lid tightly so it could come loose from the trap & get out.
The last time we had them they eat through the walls & almost caused an electrical fire in the walls.
Their urin ate through some wiring & shorted them together causing them to arc & it tripped the CB.
Had to remove a large portion of the outside panels to repair the wiring.
What a project that turned out to be.
Happy Holiday's. :wink:
David
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Dean3

Brenda,I've always been told cold can cause condensation in electronic cabinets(urban myth? I dunno),and,they should sit in room temp before plugging in again so they have time to dry out,the colder they get the longer this takes to be safe from shorting the electronic boards and such. I understand the plastic bag you mentioned would reduce frost/moisture entering but if there's any moisture/humidity in the item to start with it could condense and "frost up" in a bad spot. I'd be very very careful of this procedure and use a fan blowing into the cooling vents to dry thoroughly after it had warmed slowly,otherwise Ya might get lucky x-amount of times,then,ZAP-SNAP-SIZZLE! no more DVD player. :cry:

Please don't take offense,there's none meant.

Dean

PS-I hope this little dab of electrical advice is relatively safe and more akin to "err on the side of caution" and admissible here. I remember the policy about electrical posting/advice being a no-no.
homebuff

Dean3 wrote:Brenda,I've always been told cold can cause condensation in electronic cabinets(urban myth? I dunno),and,they should sit in room temp before plugging in again so they have time to dry out,the colder they get the longer this takes to be safe from shorting the electronic boards and such. I understand the plastic bag you mentioned would reduce frost/moisture entering but if there's any moisture in the item to start with it could condense and "frost up" in a bad spot. I'd be very very careful of this procedure and use a fan blowing into the cooling vents to dry thoroughly after it had warmed slowly,otherwise Ya might get lucky x-amount of times,then,ZAP-SNAP-SIZZLE! no more DVD player. :cry:

Please don't take offense,there's none meant.

Dean

PS-I hope this little dab of electrical advice is relatively safe and more akin to "err on the side of caution" and admissible here. I remember the policy about electrical posting/advice being a no-no.
Dean
David here.
You have a very good point indeed.
But I use the freezer to put a computer hdd in & get it working to retrieve any data from it using a freezer zip lock bag & it works most of the time.
Just thought i'd add that for the electronic related concern.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Greg

I think that if you are going through the trouble of bagging things it may just be easier to bomb it with insecticide and just leave it sealed up for a day. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
homebuff

Yeh right!
Then load up the 3 dog's & bird & two cat's & go to a motel for a day or two.
You should see what it's like around here when we have to load them all up go to the celler during the storm season.
It's a nightmare & makes some of the other people in the celler mad.
It's not my idea, it's my wife's.
I don't go half the time cause i'm not scared of the storms.
Greg

I was talking about putting things in bags and bombing them in the bag. Greg
homebuff

:) Oh! I guess i'm getting too old & didn't catch that.
You mean like an appliance. Not a bad idea!
Do they make a large enough bag to enclose my stove?
If my back wasn't so bad I would just take it & put it outside for a day or so to kill them from this really cold weather we've been having.
As long as they don't start running back in the house.
My wife told me the other day she could smell a mouse dead in my wall in my computer room & I told her she's imagining things.
Cleaned out from under my computer desk this morning & woo & behold there were two dead mice in a glue trap I had put under there a while back.
I must not be much of a hound since I can't smell that good.
Hey! I'm going to shut up & let you get on with your day.
Happy Hoilday's to all your family & all the staff there.
You guy's are the best. :wink:
My stepson is in the commercial a/c heat bussiness & I told him to drop by & visit you guy's to get tips on repairs & maybe help some of your poster's here.
Thank's for the bag trick idea.
David
Going back to work from my vacation today to get away from the wife.
She's a menice.
Yanita

$$ stores, meant dollar stores, dollar tree, family dollar, general dollar, about all these stores are the same and carry generally the same type of products.

Yanita

Merry Christmas
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
homebuff

Yanita wrote:$$ stores, meant dollar stores, dollar tree, family dollar, general dollar, about all these stores are the same and carry generally the same type of products.

Yanita

Merry Christmas
I shop there all the time & even see rich people shop there as well.
The reason I can tell is they drive up in a caddy or any type luxury veh.
I do my XMAS shopping there also plus Wally World.
Happy Holiday's to you & your staff Yanita. :)
RandyD

RandyD wrote:
Yanita wrote:
$$ stores

What kind of stores are these?
Anybody?????????
Buy Quality.......Cry Only Once!!!!!
Greg

The Dollar store, where you can buy the "Finest" quality products direct from China for the low, low price of just ONE DOLLAR!!!! Greg
Claudia

I had a roach problem a few years ago. They came from the neighbors house. I put combat traps all over the house, in the cabinets and under furniture. It worked good.

The neighbors place ended up being gutted. When they put up sheetrock, they put the combat traps behind the walls even. They finally moved out thank goodness, there hasn't been a roach problem since.
homebuff

Thank's for that bit of info.
When I started seeing them entering into my house I went & got some Combat & after a week or two I started seeing them dead all over the house.
Have about 15 distributed all through the house as well as those sticky traps.
They started trapping mice & bugs to them.
I've already spent a fortune on them.
Wife doesn't want a exterminator coming in cause of the pet's.
Happy New Year!
Greg S

I don't believe any of the home remedy/DIY solutions are going to eliminate your roach and mouse infestation problems. The problem has grown beyond your control.
You need to sit down with your wife and try to get her to understand how serious the threat to your health this problem actually is. Time to put your health ahead of the animals.
Tell her it is very important to hire an exterminator to fix this problem asap for both of your sakes.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
homebuff

:D Thank's Greg!
I'll see what I can do to get her to understand.
Might have to hold her down & pound some sense into that thick scull of her's. :lol:
We both tend to get sick from time to time but she has more of an excuse than me.
She has Fibro & sick is all the time.
It's really gross to see those bug droppings on the dishes & destroying all our electronics.
Happy & Safe New Year! :)