New old TV

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Dean3

Things seem a little slow here lately,can I tell Ya a story?

I bought little bro's old 50" projection TV. The remote sensor and the ALS(auto
light sensing)sensor were both bad. I ordered a new board with the ALS
sensor on it,installed it,and by gum it worked,but,still no remote control. I
ordered a remote sensor,when it came today via UPS I pulled the screen off,removed the little
electronics board it mounts to and took both that board and the new sensor to
little bro's house. He has more experience soldering and he has this neat little
magnifying glass with rotating swivel alligator clips,LOL,cool tool...He removed
the old remote sensor and soldered the new one back in place,then tested it.I
drove home and installed the board,dusted the 3 projection lenses
carefully,replaced the screen and other covers,pushed the power button on the
remote control,,,,,,aaaaaaaand,,,,,,,,,,,CLICK,,,,,,,it came on! Yesss!

I wasn't 100% sure it was the remote sensor as it could have been something
else wrong down the line. Lucky lucky because I'm no TV repair man. :)

After 2 weeks patience and some internet research--$100 for TV--$30 for ALS
board/shipping--$11 for remote sensor/shipping,I now have a fully functioning
big screen Toshiba for cheap. The picture is plenty good enough for me now but I may be
able to tweak settings a bit and make it better yet,the sound is far better than my other TV. The set was bought new in 2002,it's a Toshiba 50H81.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale is ok to celebrate with and I am!,,just a couple
tho,gonna work 1/2 day tomorrow.. :roll:

Dean
Greg

That is called Right place, right time with the right knowledge. $150 for a 50" TV, good deal. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

TY Greg,I'm pretty happy with it,they were a couple grand when new,now almost obsolete. With luck it will last a few more years until TVs over 40" get even less expensive than they are now(I am turning into quite the deal hunter the last few years). Also it is well over 200lbs and I don't wanna move it any sooner than I need to! :lol: Ouch my back! The last thing that big and heavy hit an iceberg in the north atlantic and sank!

It is NTSC not ATSC so my converter box is needed for OTA broadcasts,,that's kind of a bummer but "can't have everything" I guess. It takes alot of room too,a little more than my old entertainment center with the 32" set in it. I look forward to a flat panel with tilt/swivel wall mount someday to save room. Playing race games on it is quite fun,I can see for miles and a blast through the other cars! :twisted: :lol:

Dean
Harry

Yo

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Question: My bride recently bought us a big flat screen ...lightweight TV. I noticed some heat coming off the TV ...if you hold your hand near it. Does this mean it uses a lot of power?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Dean3

I don't know Harry,but,the owners manual or service manual might give the average power use of Your set. The average use of my new find is only 190 watts I think,I would guess a newer style would use even less. I found both types of manuals online for free.

What's the brand and model of Your set? I'd be glad to look it up for You. There may not be as much info available on the net for a newer set tho,kind of a gamble. Let us know what Ya find,I'm curious now.

Dean

Side note; With the new format is there a replies notification function that alerts through email? The old format had one,am I missing it somewhere?
Dean3

Harry,here's some info- http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-power-efficiency/

I was surprised to see rear projection TVs use less than LCD,plasma,or LED. Most articles I read agree plasma uses the most energy and makes the most heat,but,have the best picture.

Dean