Do you like showers or tubs? or both?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Lorne

The 2nd bathroom has a one-piece tub/shower combo, which is 23 years old with a slight soft spot in the center bottom. We already have a large shower in the main bathroom.

Is a bath tub still as popular as it was years ago?
I would like to have a new one installed but I know we are looking a big bucks for a place like Rebath or similar. A shower would be simpler but not if most people still want tubs.

Do YOU like tubs? or Tub/ shower combo's?
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Harry

Hi

I favor showers.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Rhonda

Showers here too. I know of only one person who likes to take bathes!
Dean3

Showers work best for Me,I'm way too tall to comfortably sit in the tub of My combo unit,doing so is rare. Most tubs that fit My 6'+ body would probably be too expensive for My tastes.When I'm older I may install a shower with no tub so I don't have to risk stepping over the tub wall to enter/exit.

Dean
JD
Site Admin

Well, you know we got to move this to Off Topic as it is not a repair question. And it is showers for me. Hot tubs are good, but not the same thing I guess.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Showers mostly, but I do enjoy a long hot soak!

When we renovated our bathrooms here we found out that code for us was at least one bathroom had to have a tub...

If you plan on selling in the future I would put in a tub/shower unit...a multi bedroom home typically houses families with kids. Even though I no longer have small kiods I do have grandkids!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Code requiring a tub?? Sounds like another case of big brother sticking their nose in. I do wonder however just how many people would have lived had they had a full tub rather than just a shower stall.

I do agree that every home SHOULD have one tub, but that should be common sense, not a regulation for just the reasons Yanita stated. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

CAUTION: If You don't like comedy mixed in with semi-serious comments stop reading this post now,,,,, :lol:

It does sound like big brother has an intrusive pedantic nose doesn't it! Well big bro can stick his nose into my tub if he wants to but it will probably come out with rust and scale on it! :twisted: The buildup on the tub floor provides good traction and lessens the need to put one of those suction cup non-slip mats in! :lol:

I'll guess the code is meant for folks that can't stand safely for long enough to take a shower.They could/should rewrite it to allow for a sit down shower in lieu of a tub.I would think walking in and sitting down would be more safe than stepping over a tub wall for a shower or sitting in water deep enough to drown in! Of course if they rewrite they would probably do something even more pedantic,might be better to just let it be.

Is it possible it has as much or more to do with neighborhood groups wanting to keep the value of nearby homes up than a safety issue?,tubs add an option and options sell.

What happens to folks that can't step high enough to use a tub but can't afford to install/have both or can't afford 2 bathrooms? Is there a clause to address that? I for one would much rather die in the shower at home than be relegated to living in any nursing home. I told my son "If you ever put me in one of those places I'll break out and come after You!" :evil: :lol:

Does the fact I bothered to write all this stuff down and post it make Me the pedantic one!? :? :wink: :)

Dean
JD
Site Admin

I heard that the bathtub requirement was a health concern for emergency situations requiring immediate cooling or heating of a person. Like hot water for hypothermia and cold water for burns. Tubs are also good for emergency water storage for cleaning or even drinking when you use a liner and other safety measures.

Still it does seem to me that there are more injuries from bathtubs than emergency lifesaving usage.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.