Waterless Cooking - Buffalo Wings

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

My wife and I are serious about a 2010 New Years resolution to cook healthier and eat more at home. So serious we've started now.

We ordered and just received some pans for (mostly) waterless and oil-less cooking. Is anyone else familiar with waterless cooking? An awesome way to cook healthy and keep flavor.

Anyway, I spent a few hours this weekend searching the internet for more 'basic' help. I've found some answers, but I still have questions and am looking for basic recipes. Thinking ahead to Thanksgiving, does anyone have a waterless cooking recipe for stuffing? Any tips on cooking potatoes?

Tonight however, I did think-up a buffalo wings recipe, and it totally rocked. So simple too. Here's my recipe.

First I bought 2 pounds of wingettes and removed the skin (they say skinless is the healthy way to go). I preheated the oil-core electric skillet to 375. I layed the chicken and let brown for a minute or so. Then I flipped the wings over, lowered the heat to 180, covered and cooked for 20 minutes. The cooked wings were then put into a bowl, added some Hooters wing sauce, and shook. Serve with a side of celery and ranch dressing (or blue cheese). If you have kids and they don't like wing sauce, then keep a few wings plain or use bbq or honey sauce.

I told you it was easy -- and so totally awesome. Post your waterless recipe here (especially the easy ones). Let everyone know what you think of the posted recipes by replying here or e-mailing me at [email protected].

And let me know your Thanksgiving recipes . . . .

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hey Mark,

By chance did you and Lise order the New Era I think is the name of the cookware? I have that set, been using it for years...pretty spendy set up huh?

Let me see if I can find my cook book that I got with the set. If I remember corectly to "boil" potatoes it was done with a damp paper towel at the bottom of the pan, place peeled potatoes on that, set on medium hi heat with lid.

The feature I like best is that all pans are stackable once you get them to temp and you can cook everything on one burner.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark
Site Admin

We have the Regal set, but probably about the same thing. It too is stackable.

We also tried corn on the cob tonight. Instructions said to put husks on the bottom, which we did. Instructions said to cook for 12 minutes. We like our vegetables well done, so we wished we would have cooked for 15 minutes. Otherwise worked well. Before that we tried broccoli and cauliflower for 10 minutes. Turned out to our liking although the bottom burned a little, so still working out why that happens.

Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Here's some more recipes that worked for me on my waterless aluminum cookware. Again, I'm posting this for my future reference, and because I feel there's a lack of basic recipes found online for this type of cookware. More recipes coming -- let me know your favorites.

STUFFING
Using a pre-warmed 4 quart cooker at 350 degrees, add 6 tbs of butter, 1 cup of chopped celery and 1 cup of onion (actually I use 1/2 cup or less of onion). Cook for 3 minutes on medium. Remove from heat. Pour in 2.5 cups of chicken broth and one 14oz bag of Pepperidge stuffing. Add a touch more broth if you like stuffing really moist. Mix. Be sure cover is on and vent closed. Cook on a pre-warmed slow cooker plate for 30 minutes on high (setting 4). Stir again. Turn dial on plate to low (setting 1) and hold until ready to serve. Stuffing will be very moist and full of flavor.

SWEET POTATOES
Preheat oil cooker to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Peal 3 or 4 small sweet potatoes and cut into slices. Don't make the slices too thick. Don't use large sweet potatoes as we found those tough to cut and cook.

Melt 2 cups of brown sugar and 1 stick of butter. Put potatoes in preheated cooker and pour mix over. Drop heat to 180-200 and cook for 25 minutes with vent closed. Stir and cook for another 25 minutes. Stir and if necessary, cook for another 15 minutes. Unplug and let sit for 10-15 minutes or until ready to serve. Remember, oil embedded around the coil of the pan will keep things warm for quite awhile. Top with mini marshmallows.

FROZEN KERNEL CORN
Dump 1 or 2 pounds of frozen corn into a 2 or 3 quart cooker. Add no extra water. Pan should be 2/3 to 3/4 full. Open vent and cook on medium until steam starts to come out vent. This could take 20-30 minutes to steam, but never turn up the heat. Once steam starts, close vent and turn temp on low (180-200). Cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Drop in several bats of butter or margarine and set pan on slow cooker plate on the low setting (1), or set on top of oil cooker that's on low or off (but still warm). Let sit for 10-15 minutes or until ready to serve. Mix and serve.

Note about Flat Top Stoves
Keep in mind that flat top electric stoves cook hot and cool slow. So use lower settings. On mine the medium setting is #5 on the dial. I use #4. When reducing the temperature during cooking, remove pan from burner for about a minute to let the heat escape.
Yanita

Aluminum, mine are surgical stainless steel, double walled. I guess we have different sets, but the cooking process is the same. I must admit I don't completely cook with them as they are intended. If you are burning veggies then your heat is to high at the begining of the cooking process.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!