Aberdeen S D floods

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

j3s

Hi Mark
SAw on the news and watched a video of all that water in Aberdeen.

Hope you and your family are OK

JES
Yanita

Hi,

I am sure Mark will respond when he has a moment...

I can say that he and family are fine, mods got an email from him.

He does have a leak in his roof, but other than that all is well.

Thanks, for checking on the folks here at MHR! :lol:

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

Good to hear that he and his family are OK. Maybe he can find a good repair person who specializes in mobile homes to fix his roof. lol ( oh, sometimes I crack me up!)

Jim
Yanita

LOL, I thought the same, anyone got an extra manuel we can send him!

It's really no different than the mechanic who's car does not run right, plumber's home with leaky faucets etc..

But really folks, he and family are fine! Hopefully he can respond after he gets his leak fixed and who knows how much water damage there may be in the park he manages.

~Yanita~
Mark
Site Admin

Supposively 75% of the basements in Aberdeen got water in them. You drive around town, there's tons of stuff piled at the curb for garbage pickup.

Damage to my house was minor -- a small leak around a skylight that stained the ceiling. Yesterday I got up on the roof and sealed around everything. Otherwise the biggest inconvience for me is the flooded soccer field! Games have been cancelled for a week. We'll see if they end up cancelling the season or not.

Oh, and the park I manage is fine. Actually too fine. We are suppose to mow the ditch along the highway, so I was hoping the ditch would fill with water and stay that way all summer so I wouldn't have to mow. No such luck, it all drained away. :?

Mark

You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

LOL,

Looks like to play in that field will require a beachball and life jackets!

~Yanita~
Greg

Mark came through it fine, but his complaint was that he missed the last 10 min. of Spiderman due to a power outage. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark
Site Admin

Since Greg mentioned it, I guess I could tell my spiderman story. It had been raining on and off for 2 days, so it was a good time to take the family to Spiderman. My 9-year-old was thrilled. We drove to the mall, grabbed some popcorn, and found our seat in the theatre.

We could hear some thunder during the movie, but its been thundering for 2 days, so no biggy we thought. With about 10 minutes left in the movie, the power went out. An announcement was made that we were in a severe thunderstorm and that everyone needed to stay put. Besides, we were probably safer in the theatre than in our mobile home.

In about 15 minutes they announced that we could leave, but be aware that the north parking lot was flooded. Of course that's where our car was parked.

They also announced that we would be given a free movie ticket. When the power went out, Spiderman had already beat-up the bad guys. All that was left was to ask his girlfriend to marry him. Can anyone tell us how it ended? Did Spiderman get married?

Anyway, we got our free ticket and went to the front door of the mall. Oops, water was flooding in the front door of the mall. So we waded out through the front door and too our car. At times we were walking through at least a foot of water. Also keep in mind that it's night, its dark, its windy and its raining outside. We reached our car. Thank God no water got inside our car.

We drove home and made it OK. Drove through a lot of water getting home. Drove around a lot of stalled cars. We got almost 8" of rain within 24 hours. The whole incident shook-up my wife. My son, on the other hand, thought it was a really cool adventure. Myself, I'm really glad that my wife and son didn't go to the movie without me. I would have been a total wreck if this storm would have hit and I wasn't there to see to their safety.

Aberdeen is a flat town. Even today, 2 days later, some homes are still accessible only by boat. Bad thing is that many people probably don't have flood insurance.

I'm on the soccer board, and on Wednesday we'll meet to decide the fate of the soccer season.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Maureen

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that all you had to repair was the skylight! Granted, you'll still have to mow the ditch LOL! I know that a lot of others had much more damage to their homes!

This a good time to bring up the point that everyone should take a look at their insurance policies yearly, and make sure that they are up to date with renovations and such!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi

Send some water this way! Florida has 260 fires at this moment!

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

I hear ya Harry! It's so hard to figure how a large part of the country is flooded right now, and the rest of us are praying for a drizzle of rain. Let's not forget those that faced tornadoes the last few weeks.

Folks, it gets a little more scary every month that goes by!

For those of you in flood areas, feel free to chime in! For those of us in drought areas, with wild fire threats, all we can do is pray. Hurricane season is right around the corner.

Let's just all do our best to chime in and let us all know that we're safe and sound this year! We all worry about our whole mobile home family, old and new!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Good morning folks,

Well as of this morning the nor'easter has dropped down to the South Carolina coast. It is suppose to come back our way. Not a good thing as many of the rivers, sounds, creeks, swamps are already high.

Got alot of rain yesterday and still raining this morning...this sub tropical depression is acting like tropical storm Dennis did in 99, came and went 3 times.

Finally the winds have started to diminish, yesterday and for the past several days we have had wind gust up to 50 mph according to the news this morning.

Yup, hurricane season begins June 1, not to far away! :roll: About time to take inventory of canned foods in storage, batteries and all the other supplies required. When it's time to fill up those large gas cans....ouch!

Everyone take care...

~Yanita~
Harry

Yep

- 2007 storm season is 3 weeks early
- floods
- fires
- tornados
- polar ice caps melting
- Paris Hilton goes to jail

All this and the bees are disappearing...

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

As I have said, I may complain about the snow & cold, but after the snow storm the home is still here. I really do worry about the rest of the family. I don't have to deal with Hurricanes, fires or floods and I don't envoy those of you that do. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Well the nor'easter turned sub tropical.

Hopefully it will bring some rain to the Florida fires! I see now were Georgia is getting the fires.

This sub tropical storm is not generating alot of rain at the moment just a lot of wind.

No matter what part of this country you call home, seems we all experience some sort of weather hazards! I am far enough from the coast to feel comfortable, although we still get hit pretty hard sometimes!

As I have said before, preparation is key, evacuation plans, and communication and meeting places with your families.

I have not seen this years forecast for hurricanes...hmmm, since the season has started early maybe I do not want to see the predictions!

Have a great day!

~Yanita~