Creepers?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Norm

At nearly 40 yrs old and 6'2" / 250lbs, shimmying around under a mobile home (especially in crappy weather) just plain sucks.

Does anyone know of a good source for a creeper that would work well under a mobile home?

Auto creepers usually have thin wheels that work great on smooth concrete floors but are totally useless in the dirt under a mobile home since they'd just dig in.

In a nutshell, something like this. - But with larger wheels like these but mounted to the side so the actual frame still sits low to the ground (but still allows the wheels to turn..)

Yeah, I could probably weld something up but no point reinventing it if theres a person already producing them who isn't looking to get rich off of every single sale.

So.... - Anyone know of a source on something like this?
flcruising

I've never seen anything like what you describe. I helps that my house sits almost 5ft. in the air. ;)
Do you have a neighbor kid that you could give a couple bucks to?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Brenda OH reregister

I drag an old nylon sleeping bag under the home to lay on.

I can slide around on it at the spot I am repairing, and it protects me from some of the junk on the ground. It keeps the worse of the dust out of my hair, since I tend to knock my hat off while working.

I also am more relaxed and stay warmer laying on the bag on the cold days, which I think reduces how tired I get from working with my arms above my head, lol.

what really helped a lot was getting the lighter weight drill....
and a plastic wash basin to drag the tools along in.

Brenda (OH)
Greg

As a Mechanic, I know what you are looking for, but plan on spending some serious money. Mac tools & Snapon both have large wheel creepers, $100 +/- . You could check the Northern Hydraulics catalog also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

I'm 50, 6-2 and 260 and feel your pain. :(

You WILL become very imaginative and clever. :wink:

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JD
Site Admin

Yeah, it doesn't get any easier as we get older, huh? As I get older, I get to feeling a nervous about being that close to the dirt!

I use cardboard. Usually two nice size pieces. I can slide around on them pretty easy and stick the second one in the direction I need to move to work.

I have come up with something I really like for dragging tools, plumbing stuff, flash light, extra batteries, adhesive and pre-cut pieces of underbelly. These tubs are in most home stores and are associated with concrete and mortar, for mixing. It keeps my stuff clean and out of the dusty dirt and makes it easy to find my tools as they will all be right in that tub. Slides around real easy and keeps stuff dry. When I am working with a helper, we can attach a nylon cord to both sides and send stuff back and forth from underneath to the outside. Costs about $8 and is indestructible.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

AAron - 5 feet!!! That must be nice! able to duck walk around or at least fully up on all fours. Most homes I see will have the bottom of their siding at about 28 - 32 inches. This puts the beams down there about 18" I am doing a flat back scoot to get under them.

Brenda - It is hard to keep a hat on under there. I have an old baseball cap that I cut the bill off for trips underneath. It makes me feel like the spiders aren't in my hair. I keep that, my overalls, old shoes and a whisk broom in a plastic bag as my down under kit.

I also take a bucket with clean towels. spray bottle of Simple Green, and a spray bottle of water to every job. I use it to clean up my work but it is real handy for a quick hand wash. Also use the water spray bottle to wash dirt and sawdust off of my face. My customers like that I don't leave dirty hand prints on new installed stuff too. Just handy.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Bea

Do you have a Harbor Freight store in your area? Lots of tools at various price and quality levels, great prices on basic wheelchairs and walkers. Wagons (garden and kiddie), some yard ornaments, AND, I know I have seen mechanics creepers there for decent prices! I don't work for them but I do call them my toy store and have hapily spent lots of money there through the years.

Harborfreight.com

Results per page:

Displaying page 1 of 1 Total: 4 Products
Oversized Low-Profile Creeper

2745-0VGA
$29.99

"Big Boy" Low-Riding Creeper
Harbor Freight Tools
3674-0VGA
$39.99
Heavy Duty Creeper with Adjustable Headrest
Harbor Freight Tools
46087-0VGA
$29.99

Heavy Duty Six Wheel Creeper with Adjustable Headrest - Flame Design

91258-0VGA
$29.99

More details on the website.
heraldhamster

I found one of these on craigslist and had to have it. it's very comfy, the wheels are huge, roll easily and are extra heavy duty. I added a cut piece of cheap camping ground pad (might be a yoga mat) with glue to give even more padding.
I haven't tried it on dirt, but it works wonders,even on gravel.

not affiliated with the company
...jm
Yanita

Hi Guys,

Yup moving this one to Off Topic, not repair related. Please follow there.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!