electric bill

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Suzque49

I was interested in whether there would be much of a change in out electric bill since we put in the new coolers and finished the covered deck on the west and south sides of the house.
We got the bill today, went from 67 kw last year to 60 this year. (If our solar system was in we would have had a $46. elect bill instead of a $450 bill, based on charges for the first 2 tiers) They are supposed to start the installation on Sept 14th. We are sooo looking forward to it. The delays have been from the county getting permits, and SCE with their usual delay tactics for rebates.
I will keep you posted on the change in bills when we get the system up and running.
Susan
flcruising

What kind of system are you getting and what it the projected payback?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Suzque49

We Will be getting a 7.7 kw system, The panels are going to cover a 11x60 ft area next to the house.
This is a "lease" agreement, that runs for 18yrs, the total upfront cost was $1000.00 the monthly lease payment will be $288/mo that will go down a bit over the 18yrs. Our current bill runs around $450 to $500/mo, and of course will keep going up as the electric rates increase over time. So the first year the savings will be about $150 to $200 a month. Projected to save us over $100,000 over the life of the lease. At the end of the lease we can either have it removed, purchase it outright or extend the lease, and it is transferrable to anyone who buys the property.
One advantage is that the company installs, monitors, maintains and services it at no cost to us.
We live in the desert, so there is ample sunshine to take care of our power needs and then some.
Susan
flcruising

Why is your current electric bill so expensive? Is your house huge, or are the kw rates just astronomically high?

It sounds like a really good arrangement considering the costs. Your deposit should be paid back in about 6 months, then saving $150-200 per month is a really nice number. Is this a panel only system, or will there be battery backup also?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Suzque49

We have an average house, 2000 sq ft, but also have a occupied guest house, and we pump our water from about 500 ft down, then pump it from the water tank into the house. I think we must have a drain somewhere, but don't know for sure. The power lines are run underground and run through PVC. We are on 10 acres as well, natural landscaping, no watering etc.
We will just have the panels, no battery backup. From what I understand the batteries reduce the efficiency of the system.
Susan
Harry

Hi

You wrote: We got the bill today, went from 67 kwh last year to 60 this year.

Is this the avg daily use? If the answer is yes...this much power would cost me $255.00 for a month.....in total. Looks like your power costs more than mine.

Do you have an air conditioner or a swamp cooler? What degree is your thermostat set at?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Suzque49

We have Southern California Edison, I know it is on a tiered system, the first 2 tiers are 12 & 15 cents a kWh. of course they only allow you less the 20 kWh at those tiers, then it goes up from there to around 50 - 60 cents a kWh.
We have evap cooling, and set the thermostat at 75.
The Solar power will be fed directly into the house from the panels, so it will be interesting to see if we even use the first 2 tiers. I think we have a drain of power in the house somewhere because we get green staining in the showers, sinks from copper leaching from the pipes. we cant find where that would be, we have good voltage coming into the house.
Susan