No good or bad, just ugly

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

JD
Site Admin

I have a cutomer that had me look at soft spots and a lumpy area on her floor that needed to be fixed. The problem area was near the marriage joint, near a vent. At first I thought it might be a condensation problem from the vent since there was no plumbing anywhere near the area. But this is what I found.

This was a previously repaired area. The previous repair people used 3/4" particle board to replace the 5/8" particle board. They did not screw down the old subfloor surrounding the repair area, which made that bad soft spot. The lumps as you can see in this next photo was the joint between the old floor and the repair area. They also left a lot of the glue from the removed subfloor, which made the lump even bigger than the difference in particle board size

I then noticed a lot of sponginess in the repaired area too. For some reason, they used two pieces of particle board that was 48"x48". I don't know why they did not use one full sheet of 4x8 material. But the joint in their repair was also soft. So take a look at the next two pictures to see why. They added zero blocking under the repair.

As ugly floor repairs go, this has to be the worse I have seen. This is so comedic I wanted to share it with you.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Yep

Bubba strikes again!

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Bubba must have relocated, last I knew he was in the south. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."