Bought home, part stick/part mod in MI, no title, no vin

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

sherim

We bought home in 89 with 10 acres, refinanced a few times was always called stick built berm home, now last was in 99, now its 2009 and we are now being told its a mobile/manufactured home and cannot do anything without the plate/vin number/title, which does not exist. Home completely gutted remodeled, completely remodeled outside, no numbers on any framework still left down there in the crawlspace. But its there so its a mobile. Is there any way to get a 'new title' to satisfy this requirement or to grandfather in this obviously way before built home to this law that went into effect in 2003/4. CAN ANYONE HELP? Been everywhere looking for anything, not even building permits anywhere from home built in 85. Guy we bought it from would be near 80 if still alive, and a jerk so likely did something illegal or simply just wouldn't help even if he could. So.... any help out there?
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Check with the fiance companies you used in the past in regards to the home. They should have this info on original loan documents.

Since this is not a repair problem I am going to move it to the off topic forums.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
sherim

The only mortgage information is what I have. I do not know where he got the modular he used as the base and everything with him was land contract. From my original paperwork, it was only referred to as a home with a garage and 10 acres.
Greg

Hi & welcome. As much as I hate the thought, I think that it is time to contact a lawyer. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

The number is usually stamped on the outside face of the frame next to where the hitch is or was.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Johnny

We bought a DW on 5 acers in Ohio in 09/2008 and on our deed states home on land and was told by the state that since it was on block foundation it was real property and no need for title for Mobile home. I don`t know if this is true where you live?
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
bell30655

Harry is right on the mark. I went out and looked at my home and sure enough the VIN is deeply stamped into the metal right by the hitch, on both sides.