Consider switching gas tax to miles-driven tax, transportati

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Dean3

I've been under a big rock,am just learning of this crap now.

Some politicians want to put GPS transponders in Your vehicles to report miles driven so they can tax them.Of course this won't work without the gov knowing where Your vehicles are 24/7,huh?,forget that! I'll get a dang 4-wheeler motorbike and wear farmer clothes as camoflage 1st! Hopefully I'll die of old age before this invasion of privacy comes around. Imagine what it could cost You just loaning a car to a family member for a month or so.

If they switch to this method what will stop them from putting the retail tax back on later too?!?! You know they will try.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/money/ ... -says.html
Greg

Switch the tax??? Ya, right!! it would just become an additional tax, there is NO WAY they would drop the gas tax!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

I wish gas tax was the only tax to worry about. Seems like everything is taxed.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Dean3

Yeah,dunno where it all goes but You're right on the money Harry,no pun intended.

It's bad enough they want to add more all the time but then they're secretive with the uses of it.The more the gov grows the more places to hide and waste I guess.

I just think taxing and tracking everybody all in one fell swoop is a bit much,had to vent a bit I guess.

Dean
Harry

Hi

In all states the Federal gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon.

The state tax in Florida is:

The statewide excise tax is 14.5 cents per gallon for gasoline and 27.2 cpg for diesel. The 14.5 cents represents 10.5 cpg sales tax plus 4 cpg excise tax. Gasoline tax rate increased .2 cpg on 1/1/05. Tax rate changes annually based on CPI. Does not include 2.2-cpg tax/fee for environmental inspection purposes (5 cents per barrel tax for the Water Quality Assurance Trust Fund, 80 cents per barrel for the Inland Protection Trust Fund, 2 cents per barrel for the Coastal Protection Trust Fund and 1/8 cents per gallon for weights and measures inspection fee). Gasoline rate also does not include additional minimum 9.9 to 17.8 cent per gallon local option tax portion with the weighted average of 14.6 cents per gallon. Therefore, depending on where you live in Florida, your overall gasoline tax can vary from an average of 52.9 cents per gallon to 45 cents per gallon.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Dean3

Aaayyhngh,I'll go ahead and say it,,when I was a kid it was under 50c per gallon,,total cost! As a teen(70s)We could hop in a 6cyl 3-on-the-tree car and take a long gravel cruise real cheap. $5 for gas,$10 for beer,and at the time,we thought girls were free!

Total US Fuel Taxes by State

http://www.iowastategasprices.com/Tax_Info.aspx
topcat

never happen. big brother will never have a GPS anything in my cars. Furthermore, the cost to implement a system like that would be enormous beyond words, and too easily defeated/hacked. Nope, we'll continue to have a fuel tax.
'If you tolerate this, then your children will be next'
Dean3

Well topcat I hope You're right. The way laws get passed right n left these days makes a guy wonder though.

I bought a GPS reciever for the laptop last year,it was cheap and worked well.The gov or automakers could buy in bulk and beat that price easy,same with the service I'll guess. Heck the gov has satelites in place already.

How many law ideas were discarded years ago but have since been passed? Sneaky manipulators they are.

Dean