Cost of moving a MH?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Summer*Sun

Hello folks! I just found your website this evening while searching on-line for a MH for my son, who is going out on his own.

I'm looking for something inexpensive for him, and have found a few possibilities. I was just wondering about moving a used MH from one park to another, and the costs involved.

I saw an estimate on another site of $4 per mile. That sounds awfully cheap to me!

I know that there are so many variables, but what I'm trying to decide is whether I have to limit us to MHs that are in the right area, or if we found the right home in the wrong place, moving it would be cost effective.

Can anyone give me even a vague ballpark figure? (I'm thinking we might move the mh 30-50 miles.)

I'll really appreciate any insight/advice you can give.
Yanita

Hi,

Well before you purchase anything make sure you find out the requirements the new park may have. In the past years many parks are now only accepting homes of certain size and age. Many only want homes with peaked roofs and vinyl siding.

Also on the first page of the repair forum in the stickies is an article titled Purchasing a used MH. You can print this out and take it with you while you are looking at homes. This is not in lieu of a licensed inspector checking the home prior to purchase.

You do not say where you are located but here in NC, 4 years ago it was going to cost me almost $3,000 to have a singlewide, 14x80 moved about 20 miles. This included tear down and set up of the home, permits, insurance etc. You will still need, and not included in your cost the final inspection from the town you are moving into.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
DigitalDreams

Yanti is right costs will vary depending on the part of the country and always check out the parks before committing to move one as some parks
and even county's have standards they will not
budge from as to size and type.

I know for a fact my local mobile home park here will not accept a single
wide unless it was already there when they changed the rules and if you are moving in or buying new one it must be DW.

And the county in which I live has a minimum size standard for DW outside of a park and no singles are allowed at all outside of a park except as
temporary housing for a ailing parent or farm hand and you have 90 days after this requirement no long applies to get it moved or
they will move it for you.
Greg

Hi & welcome, many parks do have age limits on homes coming in check with the park management on this first.

Yanita also has posed a check list of things to look for in used homes that you are looking at. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Summer*Sun

We are in Central PA, and have no committments so far. I'm just trying to collect information to see if it makes more sense to look for a MH for my son on location, or if moving a home to where he wants to live makes sense.

I guess my next step is to contact a local MH dealer to try to get a ballpark figure on moving one.

Back in the 70's, I lived in a MH and moved it about 50 miles. Althought I don't remember the cost, it could not have been too high since we could not have afforded it if it was.

I'll still appreciate any input from the community out there.
Summer*Sun

You are right, Yanita.

I followed up with the owner of a local MH dealership today and asked if he had time to share some information with me. He was very gracious.

I told him that I was sure we had moved a MH inexpensively back in the early '70s. He agreed that we probably did back then. However, the government has gotten involved in the meantime making the process much more expensive. Permits that used to cost $25 now cost $500. He said that with the current regulations, it would cost $3000 at a minimum.

So, it looks like we'll be better off spending an extra thousand or two to find a MH that is already set up in the location where my son and his fiance want to live.
Yanita

Hi Summer,

Glad I was able to steer you in the right direction. Just a reminder to print out the Purchasing a Used MH/Manufactured Home article. It is posted in the stickies on the main page of the Repair forum.

Please keep us posted on how your progress. make sure to tell your son about us once he gets settled.

Look forward to helping you in the future.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!