It's not brain surgery!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

DigitalDreams

I see posts from time to time about people who have outlet problems and can't find the cause and heres my answer.

I am have done high voltage electricial and
want to say if you have done electrical before, such as sockets and
switches then by all means save yourself the cost of calling a electrician, but if you do please use the proper tools, such as a multimeter or at least a plug checker to make sure the power is off
before you play electrican.

Also a pair of non conductive rubber gloves will save you from getting a shock if you must diagnose a live circuit.

As to the one works, the next four don't many mobile homes used a series wiring pattern and I have found that the amount of load some people put on a circuit in mobile homes is scary. If you are replacing a socket and don't feel comfortable about it don't do it.

If you do do it yourself you will solve that one works next four don't
by doing them in series-parallel with each socket pigtailed.

If you don't know what I mean by the previous statement then call a electrician or find a friend who does because even tho electrical isn't brain surgery if you don't understand how circuits are wired
and what proper safety measures and tools to use you can fry yours.Even after 30 years of doing it you still won't find me using
a pair of farmers pliers on a wall socket.

In summary, if your not sure you can do it safely please call a pro
because many mobile home electrical problems are caused by
to many high draw items on a circuit which just replacing the socket which is fried is a symptom of a bigger problem.

This is especially true in the older homes.Many of the older homes have had panels replaced with breaker box's which may be 100 amp but the wiring in the walls was designed for a 60 amp panel and just cause you have capability for more juice in to the home doesn't mean the wiring was designed to use it.
Greg

Well put!!!
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
topcat

Amen.
'If you tolerate this, then your children will be next'
Yanita

Thank you Digital Dreams for your support and info about this topic. Coming from a man that works with high voltage hopefully will have some bearing on the topic!

With that said, hopefully your post will be read by many and they will understand.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!