Is it normal to freak out?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

marriednamobile

I feel like I'm just waiting for the walls to pop off (been reading too much about shifting/expanding w/weather) the ceiling to crack (been reading too much about marriage lines) and the roof to collapse.
Granted there is nothing (seemingly) wrong with my home now, but what seems to be a recurring theme on the board is "it was great when we moved in but now, the walls are mushy/ 1/2 the floor is higher than the other/ I can see the sky through my roof without a skylight"
Is living in a MH a serious construction job just waiting to happen, or is this normal for a newbie?
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
Yanita

LOL,

It's normal. Use the information you get here as preventive maintenance. Check your home periodically to prevent damage. You must remember that many people purchase their homes without an inspection.

I have a fair amount of knowledge on mobiles, yet was apprehensive when we bought this 35 yo doublewide 3 years ago. I have used my knowledge to prevent damage.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Barb P

That was my first laugh for the day. I am exactly the same way. Glad I'm not the only one who frets about the "what ifs"
BarbP
Greg

Well when the meteorite hits the house it's going to make a big mess anyway so don't worry about it!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DigitalDreams

Owning a mobile home is kinda like owning a rv or a house boat.Don't check the bolts or forget to put the live well plug back in it may sink.But I live in a 37 year old DW and its just a solid as my 15 year old car as long as I wrench a little now and then,
because just like old cars and old people it needs a little tlc now and then and it will serve you well for many years.
Dean3

I think everybody posting above hit the nail square on. And from another thread,,payments are lower,often *far* lower,,now Yer gonna hafta do some work that will offset some of those savings,,but in most cases the $$s saved will outweigh maintenance/repair in the long run.

Beware;;Joke time--
Hey Greg,,a big metorite can be worth enough to buy many a house,,LOL,,let em rain down on Mine!! Of course I might have to fight the landlord for legal possession of My hot rocks! :D

Dean
topcat

^
On that note, mine is paid for. I'm getting out of a house I leased and moving into this trailer in an effort to make myself a little more recession-proof. I can live with a little work to keep this thing up as opposed to the 800 bucks I pay a month to lease this house, which is very cheap for the area, comperable houses to this one are typically $1200 a month rent, the owner is a family friend. The house I lease is a really nice house, but what a waste of money it is since I don't own it, and they won't sell it (I tried). Do I feel like trailer trash? Well, not yet, I won't move into it until June.......but people can think what they want, I don't care. While they're busting their asses to pay on those 30yr mortgages on houses they couldn't afford in the first place, I wake up on the morning of the first of the month, and know I don't have to write any checks that day!! :D I also have a 3200sq ft workshop in my 5 acre back yard, which I make my living from.......so in short, I'll be loving every minute of the mobile home!
'If you tolerate this, then your children will be next'
TonyPa

I am also getting out of my 2 story house. Hopefully in about 30 days, as soon as I have my MH ready. I am feeling the same way. But my overhead is too high on the house, and it needs way too much money put into it. And of course, my neighborhood went to crap.
I know I am learning a lot from this board. Soon as I get moved I am gonna buy a manual from here to keep on hand..

Will my homeowners cover me for a meteor hit?
I am calling Bruce Wiillis, and making sure he prepares to save the world again....LOL
Dean3

One wonders if there will be a billion dollar study to see just how many stickbuilt homeowners end up moving in with Us "Trailer Trash" to get thru the recession and pay off the balance after their stickbuilt was auctioned!.!

There's that offchance that,,when the recession is gone,folks might actually *remember it* for a few years,,and start a manufactured home boom..Imagine the benefits of that;;cheaper ins,,more available ins,more parts,better parts,less bias,,etc.

When Frank started Design Homes back in the 60s I wonder if He envisioned anything so grand,or,just wanted to put the kids thru college.

Dean
marriednamobile

so get an oil check every 3,000 miles then, check.
it is interesting to hear some of the feedback on this thread, especially from those moving out of "stick built" homes and into MH's and feeling like they finally have a leg up. It's weird, but paying at least $100 less in rent, not including utilities, having my own yard, being able to paint/plant/mow/dig without running for my lease, in a MH is something I never thought I would look forward to. I told my fiance about the Powerball statement I put in my profile, and he said he was just thinking about that- winning the lottery and what he'd do with the money, at the same time we both said "I'd almost rather get a triple wide and some land and call it a day instead of building a house!"
I think it's too bad that the secret's not out for a lot of people, they could have larger homes, less rent, and more freedom, and all that's stopping them is that 2 letter word we've all heard (and probably said too)...
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
gemini5618

When I bought my 16 x 80 mobile 10 years ago, I had to get a 30 year mortgage to afford the payments and lot rent, so I won't be paying it off any time soon.

That said, my house payment, lot rent, and insurance payment are still waaaaay less than I'd be paying in rent for a 1 bedroom apartment and I have 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, with a yard. When I finally get my car paid off I hope to be able to "double up" on my payments to pay off some of the principle. I've been paying nothing but interest for the past 10 years.

Or maybe I'll win that lotto jackpot, or find a sugardaddy, or...........
Jules
Dean3

No land for Me as yet ,I rent that part,but,I moved from a 2 story/higher dollar house(rental) to $150 lot rent. some folks might call it "stepping down" but since I could give a fig less about that kinda thinkin I "feel" it's a step up,,or at least a step over.

things I miss from those days,,the 3 native american crossbreed sisters down the street and My garage,,get one or more of the sister's in the garage and Who could work?! The Trans Am was in good shape anyway. The truck never fit into the garage,and the 72 Maverick(low mileage money pit) was rarely driven.

snobby sacks of crap that judge by Your home instead of Your actions don't deserve the time of day,,and,,more importantly,,they don't deserve Your money when it's time to go shoppin..If they wanna hit You in the pride then smack em back in their wallet.

I think the single biggest drawback to some manufactured homes is sometimes there's no basement. My friend has one of those,,He shoulda bought from the folks I work for,He/They already had the wife's acrage paid for.

Dean
Jim from Canada

It would take a lot of convincing for me to pay off my mortgage. It is at 2%, and I can get over 3% on a GIC.

Jim