The librarian just dissed me!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

marriednamobile

I called to see if I would need a new library card because I moved into a different county, she needed to make sure I was a resident so she asked for my address, I gave her the street number and name and she said "so you live in the trailer park there?"
I laughed under my breath and started to say "actually it's a..."
then I stopped myself.
Now I know it probably wasn't a conscious slap in the face from her part, but nonetheless, it still stung.
Trailer park! Ha! If she only knew...
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
Dean3

LOL! Well of all the snotty,snobish,and utterly abhorent behaviors! And from a librarian too! Whatever happened to the "Marion Librarian" examples?!

Don't let it bug Ya,,,She's prolly struggling with GIANT payments on Her big house and worried about budget cuts messing Her job up. :D Before this is all done She might wish to be in Your shoes..

Make Ya feel any better?

Dean
DigitalDreams

And also take solace in the fact that after your mobile is payed of if it ain't already, you'll be
laughing all the way to the bank while she's
still paying off the 30 year mortgage.And then when you go in ask for references on mobile home living
and it's benefits.
Greg S

I am curious as to what everyone refers to there community by ? Among family, with friends etc.
What do there children call it ?
Yanita

I'm not sure I understand your question, but here is my answer LOL.

A MH community is where you own the land and the home, a park is where you rent/own the home and always rent the lot.

Regardless of where we have lived with the exception of this place my kids have always referred to it as home.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dean3

For years I refered to these older style places as "trailer court" and still do,,sometimes... Nowadays tho I don't use that term online much,,might get Me gnawed upon. :) Now it's "MH park".

The houses I patch come on running gear(basically like a looong hay wagon)and are set on basements so We call them "houses". Around here,they might be set among new or old stick built homes or among other manufactured,,or all alone.

Dean
Greg S

What I am asking is, when telling others where home is do you refer to it as the Trailer Court, Mobile Home Park, Manufactured Home Community, XXX Village, XXX Park etc.
What do the kids in the community refer to it as.
The reason I ask is because it seems to vary by community and by geography.
I prefer to refer to mine by the name, PineRidge Village, but outsiders seldom know it by that name.

Mine is a Park but I personally prefer Community when I have to farther explain to people where I am talking about. They have no idea that there is a difference between the two.

Just curious.
Yanita

Hi,

In Vermont we called it a MH Community, everyone seemed to know that meant you owned your land and home...the kids called it trailer park.

Here in the south about every community with MH's is called a trailer park and you are immediately stereo typed.

How do I know..I own a residential cleaning business. I had been cleaning a certain clients home for over 4 years, one day she decided to ask where I lived, so I told her...I was let go that afternoon!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg S

Wow. That woman has some serious psychological issues.
gemini5618

The development I live in calls itself a mobile home community, but the residents don't own the lots. Many of the homes are now property of the community owner and are rentals.

I think they call it a community rather than a park because in this touristy coastal area, the mobile home parks are generally for travel trailers and 5th wheels.
DigitalDreams

Here they are usually called mobile home parks.
But if this will make you feel any better, when we sent our son to
private school most of the kids there were rich kids and my son and
one other kid, were the only two kids in the school who lived in manufactured housing. When they would raz the kid who lived in
the mobile home park he would say ya some day I'll be livin the american dream i'll have a double wide on its own land.

And where I work they give me crap about living in one and my comeback is simply and how long is your mortgage.
bell30655

Our park took all those extra words out and just calls itself "Southside Park." I wonder how many people see it on a map and are looking for swing sets and slides?
AngieH63

Our mobile home park's name is Crestview Estates. Sounds very grand, huh?
bell30655

I forgot to mention that at least once a year some kid removes the S-I-D-E from the sign and we are South Park for a couple of weeks until the other letters are located again.
marriednamobile

You're right, I will be laughing when my MH is paid off in less than half the time a "regular" home with a 30yr mortgage is, laughing with glee!
Since this isn't an apartment, obviously, and it's not attached to anyone I call it a house, it is technically. So when my family asked where we moved to, apt, etc... I say we moved to a house.
When people ask where, if they're not satisfied with the cross street area I give them, I say "It's in Presidential Estates" and leave it at that.
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.