Need a good car repair forum

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

AngieH63

I need a link to a good car repair forum. I did a search, but couldn't find what I wanted, and quite a few even asked for money first.

I have a 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88, 3.8 liter engine. I made a uturn today and it went into neutral gear. I shifted and put back into drive and then it went back into gear. It has done this before, usually while making a quick sharp turn. It also seemed to jump into neutral for a minute when I almost slowed to a stop then put on the gas again because the light turned green. It has been sluggish in first gear for awhile now, but usually drives fine once you get going. Hubby says it may be the transmission needing replacing, and if so, it would be too expensive. So anyone know anything or where I might could find out or ask?
DigitalDreams

Don't look under car repair forums ,look under car club forums for oldsmobile my son owns a ford festiva and the club forum he belongs to literally has tons of info.
flcruising

Ditto what he said. You may find more specific information from a forum with other olds.

Here maybe -

http://www.oldsmobileforum.com/forum/in ... 51f4c090d4
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Dean3

There was a recall on Olds from around the early 90s cause they needed another clip or some such on the shift linkage,I'll see if I can find referance again. I have a 91 Olds with the 3.8 engine.

Dean
Dean3

Well I don't see that recall for the 88 eighty eight,,there is a fuel related recall tho.

Is it possible the trans is loose and/or the frame rusted in that area? If it moves around under stress of turning and puts tension on the shift linkage,,that ain't good.

Always be careful working under a car. Just recently I saw a small pickup sitting on only 4 masonry blocks turned on end for support with every tire off the ground,,looked wiggly to Me.

Dean
Johnny

AngieH63
Is your car rear drive?
I think you should check the motor and trany mounts sound like eng is rasing and kicking out of gear. This happened to a stick I owned. If motor mounts are bad your motor will raise on one side when doing tight turns and on fast excelerating.
If tranny mount is bad back of tranny and motor will move from one side to the other.
Johnny
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions