Hey you Quitters ot there...

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Yanita

How you doing without those smokes?

I was doing really good for me, was down to 4 daily. The past couple days I have not done so well.

Was rear ended the other afternoon. Brought my frustration and pain level to an all time new high...smoked more than I was suppose to....

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
TonyPa

I quit two years ago. I smoked for about 30 years. But the bad part is, I exchanged smoking for chewing. You look to cute to chew snuff, and your hubby might not like seeing you with a chew of snuff...LOL
It is a hard thing to stop. I know my father has COPD, and he still is smoking.
Harry

Hi

I tried stopping for the first time about 1965. I was finally able to quit 100% in 1992.

Hang in there. Quitting is very hard.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Dean3

At My family gig yesterday I was the only one that lit up,,well,that I saw light up anyway,there were an estimated 12 carloads..One niece looks and says "OMG,you still smoke?!?!. I'm guessing she thinks the new tobacco tax will force everyone to quit,She's prolly not far off the mark either,We'll see.

Dean
Greg

OH NO NO NO! you smokers keep right on smoking!!! It will only take the Government a little bit of thinking that once everyone quits they will have to tax SOMETHING ELSE!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

Well TY much for the kind support there Greg!,,"support" us all to death,,LOL.

I bet both the gov and the anti-smoking groups already have plans made for the next steps,,once some folks get control they tend to go too far with it. They might let the dust settle on the current situ,then sprint to the next "thing",,,it's just what anti-anything groups do best.

I don't think Yer wrong on the taxes tho,not at all.

Dean
Linda

Well here we are going on our 3rd week and neither of us has had a smoke. The last time I did this was back in 1998. I quit for 9 months but I gave up, smelling all the smoke from his three pack a day habit.

I'm like Harry I have tried for the last 16 years to quit I wanted my granddaughter not to have to smell or be around us smoking but that didn't happen till now. She is so proud of her popie. She went with him the other day to help wash and vac the car & to put in new freshener. (I think she just wanted to use the car that night and that was a good way to butter him up. No)

However I might have to get off the patch but I think I can do that now. It seems that it might be triggering my blood pressure to rise but then also they are doing some testing of other things(kidneys) that it might be. We step down to the next level Fri. that will be the med. level for him and I stay on the med. for two more weeks. Was at the doctors office all last week and had not gained any weight. That is a good thing but it was also bad because was suppose to be losing weight.

Yanita sorry to hear that you were rear-ended but glad that you are all right. Cars can be fixed- people not so much.

I say they are going to go after the "fat tax". Sugar related items will be the tax hike. They were talking about soda pops on the news the other night. Just don't touch my tea. I can cut back on the sugar in my tea just don't touch my tea.

Have a Happy Easter and Happy Hunting for all the little ones.

Linda
Teresa73

My husband went 3 months once without a smoke, but he kicked these huge steel toed work boot dents all over into the side of our car while trying cold turkey.

Then he lit up again - said it wasn't worth the rage he felt, he's one of the sweetest calmest men on earth, and to see him transform into some violent nut job over a smoke was really scary (on the control or crud they must have in those smokes).

I smoke 2 - 3 packs in 24 hours, course I am an insomniac also so I'm up for most of those hours. I'm a mega (censored) when I don't have my smokes. I'm scared to quit cold turkey cause I have kids, and I don't want to snap on them like hubby did to the car!

However, hubby is cowboying up and said he will try Chantix, if it works he wants me to try it. He told me he loves me to much and wants me around for a long time. Hmm... he's cheap, this idea of 'quit for love and health' of his only came up once the tax hike hit LoL

Nurse who quit on Chantix told me the big secret to NOT feeling queasy or yaking on it is to eat a dinner sized (solid) meal when you take the pill. Not just drink some milk and eat some bread. Talked to a lot of hard core long time smokers who this Chantix helped. Gives me hope.

I love my smokes, they say when you like to smoke you can't quit. You have to hate smoking to quit. Well, supposedly this Chantix helps no matter what. Course it can also increase nightmares and suicidal thoughts (go figure).

eh, the kids and house stink like smoke. I have the lungs of a 90 year old with cancer, my teeth are yellowed as are my fingers, the walls are covered in cigarette smoke stains (I wash them though), hell everything is covered in the freaking smoke, even the darn dog.

Hubby has hyper inflated lungs from smoking too. Probably killing our kids by second hand smoke.. *sigh* Time to quit. They have added so much more nicotein and other junk to the smokes since the 70s and 80s.

Hopefully the tax hike will make it harder for kids and teens to buy smokes and get hooked. They should have taken the tax hike money and used it to make clinics for smokers to detox in, or gave Chantix to people who can't afford it.

Bleh, either way it's here to stay and just keep rising. For 2 packs of Malboros a day and 2 pops a day we figured it would cost $480 a month! *faints* That's just insane. Even for the pop (soda for you southerns).

Ok, goin back to bed after my babbling post.
Night everyone. Good luck with the smokes.
Please Spay & Neuter Your Pets =^.^=
tjobrien21

I quit 13 years ago, using what is one of the hardest, but probably best methods: I stopped buying and smoking cigarettes. Period.

The first week was bad - getting over physical addiction to nicotine. The second week wasn't so bad. The third, my head got into the game (habit, just plain wanting to). Then after that, it got a lot easier.

Even for the first few years, I'd want one now and again. Especially if drinking. :)

Have you ever procrastinated a task and noticed it never gets done? I procrastinated my way into quitting. "Just 5 more minutes" and I'll smoke. Then, when that time elapsed, "5 more minutes". It worked in the end. Lotsa benefits to quitting, and it'll save a ton of money too!
topcat

I smoke about 10 (give or take) cigs a day. I NEVER smoke in my house or cars, only outside. If you want to dramatically cut down on smoking, that is the perfect way to do it, by not smoking inside. If you want a cig, you have to get up, go outside, and toke away. You'll think twice about it on a cold winter day, in rain, or other inclement weather.... Just by doing this, I cut my cig consumption by more than half. I don't want to quit, I enjoy it. I stopped smoking in the house years ago, when I moved from one house to another, and when cleaning up, I noticed how gross everything looked and smelled.....and that was that. no more smoking inside. I've never let anyone smoke in my cars (myself included), and never will. I build show cars, so cig smell, burns, and ashes just aren't an option...

To those who quit, I salute you. Someday, I probably will, but right now, I just enjoy it.....
'If you tolerate this, then your children will be next'
Dean3

The only time I was under 1 pack a day was on the patch(2 cigs a day then)years ago for about a week,,then right back at er..

Just heard stories about chantix yesterday from a friend that stopped in,,He blacked out while driving and came to his senses in His living room,,sober apparently,,His friend is currently on Chantix and just sits in front of the TV all depressed all day.

I'm beginnin to think that if growing My own doesn't make Me quit nuthin ever will,,there's alot involved and I'm just barely scratching the beginning of year 1,test 1,practice mode!..My elder sis repeated what was said here;;"why not put that money toward the patch",,I said,,"if growing,drying,aging,and processing tobacco doesn't make Me stop then it's just plain not gonna happen. She laughed a bit,that's what big sis is for I guess!!

Yanita,,how's the progress? Seems Ya slipped track a bit after the fedner bender,,didja slip back on track too?

Dean
Yanita

Hey Dean,

I am stuck at 4 cigs a day!

Yup, my excuse, the being stuck anyways, but the truth of the matter is I ENJOY those 4 smokes. I don't smoke in the car or the house, out in public...

It is warm here in NC so morning coffee is taken out onto one of the decks and on the second cup comes that first cig...cough, hack carry on, not sure why I look forward to the second one. That one is usually around 2 in the afternoon, after work.

Sometimes I am busy during the scheduled smoke break, so if that is the case I do not get to smoke 2 the next break time, just miss one. It's a mind game, but one that is working or at least keeping me at 4 cigs a day. Some days I have had only 2 and been fine. Oh, I am not on the patch any longer, still have most of them left. I would never go on Chantrix or many of the other perscribed meds for quitting smoking.

Not alot of damage to the Monte, but dam if it has not tore up my neck muscles, shoulders and back! Still in the fighting stages with the insurance company...this could get nasty if they ( his insurance company) do not respond to me soon. I have done all that was asked of me and now they are not returning my calls...go figure.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dean3

Hey,that's progress and no mistake! Nice job!'
'
The chantix is pure dangerous crap I hear,I have a pal that quit it because He blacked out,luckilly came to in their living room,,another friend is still on it and I hear He just sits and stares at the TV,,,sounds like depresion to Me..

If You skip Your 2-4 smokes for a day or two,,,then,,,deal with his ins company I bet they will be begging to pay double *and* medical for life!! :D

Get em Killer! Sic em!

Dean

Ps= I was in a bad mood last night so My posts about taxing fat were partly due to a toothache and resulting hangover from trying to drink the ache away,,,didn't work so good!! LOL...VERY sorry to All for the insensitive presentation. Very sorry..